News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

46 Conv Coupe

Started by John Polychron #22120, December 30, 2006, 07:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Polychron #22120

In the 2007 CLC directory 15 members list their 46 Conv Cpes as 6267D models. According to the data plate on my 46 Conv the model designation is 6267, with no "D". Also I have a build sheet for my car stating that the model is 6267, and I have the Body Manual for 46/47 models giving the designation as 6267. As far as I know the last year for the "D" code was 1941. I ask that the 15 other members verify their codes to determing what is correct. Signed, Anal Retentive.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Listed in the Master Parts Book as Series 62, 6267D for the convertible...

Jeff Hansen, #4225

Hi Barry,

John and I have had an extensive conversation about this.  The Master Parts Book, in my 1949 version anyway,  contradicts itself - it says 6267D in one place for 1946 and 6267 with no D in another.

I have corresponded with researcher extraordinaire Matt Larson and with author Roy Schneider and both agree -- in 1946, convertible body tags indicate 6267 with no D.

So, Johns question is valid: do the other members cars say 6267 or 6267D?  And if they all say 6267, then we should think about changing our Directory.

Happy New Year to all!
Jeff

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

"D" is short for "DeLuxe".  There were "DeLuxe" versions of some bodyu styles in 1941-42 (as I recall, they featured a custom steering wheel, e.g.); was this featured perhaps carried through to some 1946 body styles?

Doug Houston

Rather interesting. As Jeff has already said, the parts book (Mine is 1951) says; 46-6267D. There is no 6267 mentioned. For the 47 listings, the "D" disappeared. Im inclined to think that the cataloguer just added the "D" out of habit, and never figured on a bunch of fuddy-duddies like us to kvetch about it!

On that, Ive always wondered if, as in the 41 cars, there ever was a non-"D" convertible coupe or sedan? I was told long ago, by a Cadillac official that ALL convertibles were deluxe models, but unless we can see it in official copy, I worry.

I also was under the impression that the "deluxe" in 41 added two spoke steering wheel, large wheel covers, skirts, and chromed garnish moldings on the windshield. Again, Id sure like to see THAT in writing.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Man, do YOU guys have an excessive amount of disposable time...
Hey, Im just razzing you.
I admit there are still a few issues about Cadillacs that I could, can, and will, hold extensive conversations about, so now I can rest easy, that you guys have investigated this so thoroughly. Boy, was MY investigation time consuming. Reached to my right, (had to stretch just a little), picked up the book, and checked the listing. Gospel, right? Evidently "wrong."
Too bad Cadillac didnt save every scrap of paper ever written about Cadillacs and LaSalles.
There is the fact that all that appeared on the body plates did not always agree with other published data. Both of my 1941 Series 67s had Body by Fleetwood on them, was the main reason I sent my answer. If they made them "wrong" on the 67s, leaving the "D" off on the 46s would be right in character. And, I imagine that the person punching these tags out was the equivalent of the person taking your order at McDonalds. Low guy on the totem pole. Thanks for the answer.

Best of luck in the New Year.