News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Upcoming purchase advice

Started by Joel Den Haan #21586, January 01, 2007, 07:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Den Haan #21586

My current daily driver 97 Buick LeSabre will have way over 300000kms on it by the time I finish paying for it next spring.  Its been a great vehicle, but its time to take a look around at what else is out there.  Im thinking of a 90-93 DeVille or Fleetwood, or perhaps a small-body STS from that time.  What about durability/ serviceability on these ones?  Other ideas might include a 93-96 Northstar Seville, but Ive heard some things about oil consumption and internal seal replacement expense on those Northstar engines that worry me.  Also could look at a 94-96 LT1 Fleetwood- what about gas mileage in highway use?  Anybody have any wisdom?

Thanks in advance,
Joel Den Haan #21586

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

When I was selling cars 92-95, I generally picked what you are replacing for my demonstrator. I think the only reason Buick discontinued the LeSabre was that everyone in the country that wanted one, bought one. I would stay away from the Northstar equipped cars as maintenence will kill you. Either that, or buy a GOOD service policy. Find another low mile LeSabre or Park Avenue! One quirky thing. We leased a 96 Park for my wife, and I could never get the heated LF leather seat adjusted to suit me. Five minutes in a LeSabre and unless a customer messed up my seats, I was set for my 3,000 mile ride in it.
Also, I know people LOVE the big RWD Fleetwoods, and the drivetrain is very good. They just never turned me on, and I only sold about a half dozen in three years.
Repeat. You have a winner. Find another one. Maybe the last available LeSabre LTD with everything. Next thing to a Park!

TJ H 20664

I had a 93 Roadmaster that I bought with 100,000 miles on it and put another 120 on it, just talked to the guy I sold it to and tires and front end work is all he has put into it.  Those TBI 350 chevs have to be about the most simple engines since the chev V8 was invented in the 50s, easy to work on, cheap parts.  Under the right conditions I got 28 miles per gallon.  Average around town I rarely got less than 20.  Didnt care much for the look of the cadillacs but I would imagine the ride was the same as the buick and I miss it.  I had a 96 with the LT1 and never drove it enough to get a good idea on the mileage but it didnt seem to me much differnt.   IMHO going to that LT1 is about the same as the northstar as cost and potential problems especially at this age.    Some parts for those things are quite expensive.  I was told that the 100,000 tune up on those is around $1,100 USD. The basic engine is still the classic cast iron pushrod SBC but all the rest of it is special stuff that was only used from 91?-96 in the RWD cars like vettes, cameros and such. The northstars are not that bad if you can find someone that knows how to work on them.  There are getting to be aftermarket repair parts for them now.  Here in the states GM has quit making the repair crate motor for the first generation ones so many of the dealers wont touch them therefore they are ending up going cheap and the DIY guys are getting a hold of them.  The I would not be aftaid to get an older northstar car if I could find out the history on it and or knew the driver.  The ones that have the worst oil problems tend to be the little old lady only drove it to church ones.  Being a performance engine they need and want to be pushed from time to time.  Even something like putting it to the floor to get on the expressway a couple times a week is enough to keep the carbon under control.  I know of one that gets driven about 8 miles a week and does not get out of second gear because its a small town with lots of stop signs.  You get that one out on the road and it burns a ton of oil.  Doing the GM carbon cleanout thing helps for a while but with that little use it builds up again quick.    Dont discount the idea of the mid 90s Devilles, they have lots of space and some of the feel of the older cad cruisers.  For some reason when they changed the body (2000?) they also lost some of the old style feel.

Happy hunting!

TJ H
StPaul/Mpls MN USA
73 Eldo convert(s)
78 CDV

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Although still an "old Cadillac" man at heart, as a pensioned retiree I drive Buicks for their economy (two 94 Roadmaster wagons, one 65 LeSabre Custom ...and one 90 Century wagon that we sold in 2005 and is still giving the new [CLC] owner good service).  

Im particularly pleased when I see that other "B" owners are getting high mileage from their cars. So far, weve had almost NO maintenance expense.  But weve been getting "Warning" lights come on (generated by the computer?) and cant seem to get them to switch off, even after attending to the problem. The cars run fine but these "warnings" worry me.  Any ideas ?!?!

Joel Den Haan #21586

You know, my 97 LeSabre has had a Security light that has come on for 9 minutes exactly after starting on most occasions for the past 3 years.  GM Techs have warned me that the problem has to do with the Pass Key ignition switch ($400 CDN to repair) and/or the BCM ($600-1000CDN).  But the car continues to drive without flaw all through.  Recently a young computer tech suggested to me that the issue is probably simply a bad connection at either one of the relevant switches, or at one of the sensors.  Anyway, with reference to your concern, after having a service shop check for codes Id be content to assume that any stray warning lights have more to do with dirty/ poor electronic connections than with fundamental problems in the engine or drivetrain.  But if you get somebody to scan for codes first that will help ease your mind.

Happy New Year!
Joel Den Haan #21586

JIM CLC # 15000

01-02-07
Yann & Joel,
Does the warning light come back during the first time you drve after having disconnected the battery ground cable for 30 seconds? If it does, it means that the problem is in fact valid.  If you take your new-car in for a check-engine light problem, the only thing the service technictian will do is disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and tell you to return IF IT COMES ON again. Most repairs require that the battery cable be removed, consequently, the light goes out and the tech. resets the light in the repair process.
Good luck,JIM
P.S. This is a good thing to know if the dealers shop is a long way aways from where you live, new cars have quite a problem with the check-engine light.

Doug Houston

I have a 96 Buick Roadmaster station wagon, and it has the LT1 engine in it. In terms of serviceability, the engine is the best thing that ever happened to the service shops. This year, I had to have new plug wires installed, They cost $300.00 per set, and another $200 to install. A  couple of years ago, I was able to change the plugs in it, and it took 2 days. This summer, I had to have a new water pump and distributor installed. The pump was about $500.00, and when the pmps leak, they are directly above the distributor, and ruin it. The distributor was also around $500.00. Thye total bill was about $1800.00.

If you like spending money, the LT1 will be your delight. If you like the Fleetwoods, you might look into a 93 or earlier. Theyre all Chevys, anyway.