News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49er, shuts off

Started by Art#22010, January 02, 2007, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art#22010

Hello fellas, Happy New Year, I need a little help.

While driving today , everything working great, car completely shut off. No power of any kind.

Conditions at shut off, 20 mph, heater and defroster on.  
          Known defalts.  Driver side junction box, located on inner fender well forward, is cracked in two. I have new ones but have not installed.

What I did.  Wiggled some wires, generator, battery, all seemed tight. 2nd try I saw I had map lights, cranked it, started right up, drove a mile and it did it again right in the garage. Then again i had map lights so I cranked it, started.

Dont think its fuel pump, as it did start. It would at least crank even if pump was bad. Any suggestions as to where I might start.    The condition was absolutely no electric power, none. Bad ground some where? Where?  Had no problems all year, 06.  none.  thanks for any suggestions.  Art

John Washburn

Art,

Interesting to me, frustrating to you...

I might check the battery cables to make sure they are not corroded and are making good contact. I dont think other electrical parts would cause such a problem. Oh make sure the cables to the battery to ground are also clean and of the correct (6 Volt 00 size)...

Keep us in the loop on what the real problem was...

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado
Plenty of snow if you need some?

Art#22010

I do have to jack it up and take a look. I think it has to be a ground somewhere. Will let you know.  Art

Wayne Womble 12210

I dont know much about the Cadi`s of that era, but that is a common problem with the Corvettes.  It is almost always the firewall connector.  There is a main power supply though the connector and it is never designed heavy enough to carry the current that is required, thus it gets hot and fails. since you already know you have a problem with the connector, I would look there first.