News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Motor Robe

Started by Lemo, January 05, 2007, 01:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemo

Interested in information on a motor robe.  Its tan corduroy on one side and a sort of dark fleece material on the other.  Embroidered emblem that says Cadillac Motor Robe Detroit Michigan.

Curious as to what year range this might be associated with and if it has any particular value.

Thanks

Jeff Hansen, #4225

Lemo,

These were generically called lap robes and were used to keep warm on chilly days or nights.  Cadillac sometimes referred to them as Fleetwood Robes.  These were offered by the factory at extra cost in the 1930s and 1940s to match the interior of ones Cadillac.  Not sure about the 20s or 50s, but it is possible.

Price varies according to condition.  I havent seen one on eBay in well over a year (havent looked too hard, either), but the last one I saw go on eBay went for over $800.

Do you have any photos you could email me and I might be able to give you a better idea.  Click on my name to the left of this post to send me an email.

Thanks,
Jeff

Bill Edmunds - #5484

CLC member Alan Miller (CT) displayed such a robe in his newly restored 1931 sport phaeton at the Hershey show.  It looked great and complemented the gray-green interior.

wm link

The robes themselves go back to stage coach days...I have two...one is pretty old with a coarse animal hair on one side, very thick, green in color. I was told it came from a Cadillac of the early 20s. The other one I have is not as heavy...broadcloth on one side, alpaca fur on the other. It looks exactly like the one in Cadillac advertising images, however no Cadillac label. The lap robe with a pillow was offered as late as 1974, now in "medici" velour first offered in 1972, its border trim was finished in a similar pattern as those in Cadillac advertising of the 30s and 40s.

Rhino 21150

Can any of you folks give me an approximate size for these robes? I have a friend who will gladly make a robe if I buy the material. My girlfriend says to just put two really attractive bathrobes across the rope. Snicker.

Jeff Hansen, #4225

Russ Hobden #1235

Wouldnt this make a neat club project?  Ive been wanting one for a long time too. Hint, hint.  Russ Hobden #1235

Lemo

Thanks again for the info Jeff.  The ad you sent me was 52 X 70 I think.  The one I have is 67" X 48" if I remember right.  Would it be ok with you if I used the scan you sent on the Ebay posting?

Jeff Hansen, #4225

John Tozer #7946

Now theres a good idea. Put me down for one.

John Tozer

Wayne #17075

Id take one too! Between my sedan and my ccp, it would be nice to have a lap robe to display.
Wayne