News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 special

Started by Heather, January 06, 2007, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heather

Hello
Just bought the car mentioned in the subject line, does anyone out there have photos of the interior of an original car? What is the headliner supposed to look like? are there buttons on the doors, or just the seats?  Does the seat in the 60 not move back as far as it does in the DeVille? (mylast 59) any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Ten different upholstery and trim options were available on the 59-60S. They included: (a) a dot pattern Colony cloth (black or blue) with leather bolsters (in white or metallic blue), (b) a shantung weave Clarion cloth with matching Concord nylon broadcloth bolsters, (c) gray, blue or fawn Concord cloth throughout and (d) light gray, all-wool broadcloth. And, yes, door panels also featured the button and biscuit design. I think the Fleetwood 75 sedan and limousine is the only Cadillac model with restricted rearward motion of the front seat. Sorry, no photo of headliner, but Im sure youll get one from another CLC member.  Hope this helps.

Heather

Yann -
Thanks so much for the information. My car is Woodrose pink and interior has the pink shantung inserts with tan Clarion cloth. A couple more questions.
My door panels do not have buttons. Are you saying that there should be buttons inside the biscuits?
And, is Woodrose (paint code #49) a non-metallic color?
Also, is the trunk lining material the same in all 59 models?
Finally, do you know any sources for 59 horn rings. I know they are expensive, but have they been reproduced?
Thanks -
Heather CLC#11841

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Heather,

All the reference sources I have show that there are no buttons between the biscuits on the door panels, only on the seats and fronts seat back.
Woodrose, Code 49, is not metallic. Persian Sand is the metallic in that color hue. The trunk lining in all ‘59s, except the Brougham, is the same fabric in complimentary colors to the exterior paint. The trunk lining colors were dark or light blue, dark or light green, beige, and gray. Most likely your car had a beige or gray trunk lining.  
Nice original horn rings are priced like they are solid gold.  I recall seeing reproductions but don’t remember  the source. You may try searching the usual suspects of aftermarket vendors, or someone more familiar with ‘59s may be kind enough to post.

HTH,

Ralph

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

I stand corrected about door panels having buttons like the seats and seat backs.  I based my assumption on the fact that my 60 Eldo coupe and convertible had buttons, though smaller than the seat buttons. On looking closer (with a magnifying glass) at the 1959 Data Book as well was the prestige color catalog for that year, I cant make out any buttons, so I think your interior is genuine. As to color, when you say pink shantung Im guessing you mean fawn, in the same shade as the leather bolsters. As to the body color #49, according to the paint chips it is a poly (metallic) tint. It may have less metal flake in it than others but it does have a metallic content. Sorry I cant help with horn rings !  Also Im pretty sure all 59s (and many other years) had the same, vinyl, chequered trunk liner.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I have a 59 Cadillac and it is my understanding that broken horn rings are a common occurrence on 59 Cadillacs.  If you look at the 59 Cadillacs that come up for sale on Ebay many have broken horn rings.  If you do a “google” search on Ebay you will find at least one source for a reproduction horn ring at $399.00.  From what I have read, the reproduction horn rings, although often represented to be exact reproductions, often are not.  As with many other things in life, some products are better than others.  It is my understanding that many of the reproductions do not fit particularly well.  I now nothing about who makes good horn rings.  However, from what I have read, original and unbroken rings are hard, if not impossible to find.

john fotakis

Hi there guys. There was a discussion a little while ago on the Australian club website about reproduction horn rims that had been developed some time ago by a couple of members. There was a suggestion of manufacturing some more. The post was started by Sam Hopper under the parts for sale/wanted section. www.cadillaclasalleclub.com.au- [Im not very technically minded Im sorry to say ]  Cheers, John.

Robert

Expect to spend possibly $1,000.00 or more if you want or can even fond an original. I lucked out and got my 59 by the original owner so i did not have to hunt for much. I have heard bad things as well about the reproductions. Eventually you wont care about costs and will end up spending a total of $40,000.00 or more to restore the car. In the big picture the cost of a horn ring in the end wont be that big of a deal. Do it right and dont cut corners. You dont want to have to go backwards on a restored car.