News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

69 and 76 Eldo rims intercgange?

Started by brian rachlin, January 07, 2007, 10:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian rachlin

Are 69 and 76 Eldorado rims interchangeable?

I would think 67 to 78 are all the same....?

Thanks,

Brian

TJ H 20664

I think 66-78 toro and 67-78 eldos were all the same rim.

TJ H

Jerry

Quote from: TJ H 20664I think 66-78 toro and 67-78 eldos were all the same rim.

TJ H

Similar but not the same.

brian rachlin

Should there be any problems with 69 Eldo hubcaps not fitting on 76 Eldo rims?

Brian

TJ H 20664

I have 67 hubcaps on my 73 now at one point I had 78s on it. The only change I have seen in the rims is the cutouts are a differnt shape and pattern on some of them (maybe early olds?) other than that the offset and bolt pattern and such seems to be the same. I suppose there could be some differnce due to the drum brakes on early models.  I have seen chrome and painted versions for the Toros but the eldos seemed to always have covers on them.  There were a few people that made wire wheels for them.  I think there is one company that makes them now but they aint cheap.  With all the custom wheels these days I would imagine you could find something else to fit.  One thing to note on the eldo covers is you have to have your tire guy put the weights on the back side or use the sick on ones because the cap grips that little ridge on the outside.

TJ H

TJ H 20664

Also a thing to note anytime you mess with wheels on eldos is always check to make sure the valve stem clears the front brake calipers!  Sometimes they need a slight tweak with a soft hammer or a chunk of wood and a hammer.  This can also be an issue fitting hubcaps on because sometimes the cause the valve stem to move.

TJ H

viator trudeau

A poster several years ago found 67-70 hub caps (wheel covers)slightly a larger dia. for the 71 and later wheels.  I had to replace a crooked wheel on my 68 ELDO W/ one from a 73. It was very difficult to get the cover in place,using a soft rubber mallet.  On the good side of this it wont come off on rough roads.

Dick Heller

When the tires are balanced, make sure the weights are inside the rims to prevent hub cap popping.

Dick

brian rachlin

I recently bought a 1969 Eldorado.  It had a brand new set of very nice Goodyear wide white radials.  I mean very wide whites, like 4 inches worth of whitewall.  Lots of people who have an old car think they need to put erroneously wide whites on them.

I also had recently scrapped a VERY rusty 76 Biarritz coupe, and kept the wheels and tires, also just about new, but General radials, a matched set with a normal whitewall tire.

SO...

The 69 Eldo is now riding on 76 rims, with the more appropriate tires, but the hubcaps would not go on.  I did this last Sunday, and it was getting dark, so I got the car back in my storage garage.  I am sure that I will just need to bend back the tabs on the hubcaps a bit and tap them on with the old rubber mallet, but it is odd that the would be so snug on rims that I thought were the same from 67 to 78.  Possible they switched to a different vendor between 69 and 76 and they are just a bit smaller?

I will play with them on the weekend because a Caddy with no hubcaps on it, well, should stay in the garage until it is wearing the caps...

Thanks,

Brian

Dennis

There is a different type of weight used on the old rims that usually have to be purchased before hand, as most tire shops dont carry them anymore.  They have an extra long tang on them that allows the weight to sit further inboard the rim and not interfere with the hubcap.

I sold, installed, repaired, lived and breathed tires for quite a while.

Dennis

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

I realise that the weights wont solve your problem, but they are still availavle.

These CAX wheel weights are sold by All Tyre Supplies, phone 1-888-339-6665 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.   And the nice people there will send them anywhere in the world.  http://www.alltiresupply.com/c-CAX-Wheel_Weight_For_Steel_Wheels.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.alltiresupply.com/c-CAX-Wheel_Weight_For_Steel_Wheels.html

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

TJ H 20664

When I put the 67s on my 73 there were 3 out of the 6 that were a real snug fit.   The seem to fit well its just they are a PITA to get started.  The good part is they have not come off and from time to time I have been known to test the torque of the 500 at a stoplight, the 78 caps would come off somtimes under that kind of abuse.   When I had mine ballanced they put most of the weights on the back side if there was no way to get it that way they used the stick on weights that they use on fancy modern wheels when you dont want to see them.  This was done at my local gas station so I assume that most if not all tire places stock that type of weight these days.  The tech that did mine rememberd the special weights but said he had not seen them for years so not many shops must carry them.

I agree that those mega wide whites dont look good on those type of cars, the 67-70s were sorta sports cars.  Makes the eldos look like the Delorien in Back to the Future 2 or 3 when he is in the 50s.  Another way to make them look bad is to but a large black wall or raised letter tire on them........

I just bought some el cheapo special buy tires for my 78 CDV  beater car and they have a little over 1 whitewall instead of the usual 3/4 or less.  They were 215 75 15s.  I would rather have had 225s but they guy told me that they stock those because the mid 90s gm minivans used those and cheap people insist on putting those on trucks and suvs because they are cheap.  I assume there is some factory somewhere that bought or found the old molds from some tire model they used to make and sold them to some offshore company that makes them now.  Works for me since that car is my around town beater that I drive on construction sites and such.  I hate having to repair my $250 each Goodyears.

TJ H

Mike Josephic #3877

The tabs on those caps that hold the hubcap to the wheel do sometimes get bent.  When that happens, dont try to force the issue with a rubber mallet, take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently bend them back in line with the others. I have a 73 Eldo and have had to do this over the years.  Otherwise, it will pop.

Also, there is a special wheel weight with an extra long shank on it to keep the weight away from the front side of the wheel where the cap goes on.  Mike