News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Kwiklift (or other DIYer auto lifts)

Started by TJ H 20664, January 07, 2007, 11:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ H 20664

Found out about this company on another board.

http://kwiklift.com/features-all.htm TARGET=_blank>http://kwiklift.com/features-all.htm

Anyone see or use one of these?

Anyone know of other lifts like these?

Thanks!

TJ H
St.Paul/Mpls, MN USA
73 Eldo converts
78 CDV

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday TJH,

They look good, especially for someone with limited height.

Actually, a bit like what I intend to build for myself in my own Garage.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Paul Ayres #5640

TJH - If you have only limited ceiling height, this would be much better than jacks and jack stands, but the ramps would be a major hindrance to working under the car at such a low lift.  Go with a full height 4-post like the Quik-Park 7000 or a good 2-post if you have 10-12 feet of headroom.  Access under the car is much easier when you are not on your back on a creeper.  Paul

r parkinson clc 12511

I have one of these.  I bought it about 5 years ago.  I needed it to feel safe under my 55 CDV.
I got it painted in bright yellow powder coat so I wouldnt trip over it.
Im real happy with the quality of the unit.  I also got the pieces to put across the ramps so I can jack up the entire car and do a brake job with the wheels off, but havent used them.
The ramps are high enough to allow me to roll under them while on the creeper.
The one drawback is that the car is almost too high to easily reach some parts.  One of those creepers with an adjustable back rest would be a good idea.
It is fairly easy to break down and just drive up on the flattened ramps when not in use.  Unless they have changed things you must build your own entrance ramp when used in the lowered mode.  
Im glad I bought it and would do it again.
I didnt have the head room for any other kind of lift.
You must have a good jack that will lift about 19" to raise the rear of the unit with the car on it.  NAPA had a 3 ton that worked out good.

Rhino 21150

I have it on good authority (guys running their mouths at car shows!) that if you can afford it this is the one to have:
http://backyardbuddy.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://backyardbuddy.com/ I have jackstands and a Chinese SUV size floor jack from Wally World. Shows what I can afford!

Andrew

In 2004, I was obsessed with finding a good quality auto lift for my 22x24 garage, and I was concerned over safety issues.  Researched, found that many lifts are not certified by the American Lift Institute (ALI), but that one of the most available certified lifts was made by Bend-Pak.  Was getting ready to buy one, when I came across a used Rotary Lift(division of Dover Elevator) for $2000, including installation.  Found it by finding out who the certified Rotary service people were in the area, and I bugged them.  First time I called them, they said they never get lifts, the second time, they had one!!(from an old Sears store).  In any case, the biggest advantage to a "name" lift is the availability of service parts, should the lift break.  My lift was well used, 10 years old.  A twin-post drive on alignment lift with pneumatic front/rear axle lifts.

I can now store 3 cars in my two car garage.  I had a very high 12/12 pitch roof, so I was able to gain the additional 3.5 feet of ceiling height by removing the ceiling.  If ou dont have the ceiling height, the lift you are looking at is a good alternative.

Scott Howard

When I knocked the back wall of my garage out opening the "greenhouse" into the garage to accomodate a 3rd car this room was about 18" lower than my garage. Kwik-Lift was at the correct height from my garage floor. I can move this (barely) by myself if needed.  The old alignment racks were much heavier and would I would have had to build the front pedastal.  I too had mine powdercoated yellow for visibilty. The creeper with an adjustable back is absolutely perfect.  It has fit my needs exceptionally well.  However, when set for the Caddy my MG Midget rides on the inside 2/3 of the tires only.  Scott #22304

TJ H 20664

Thanks for the info guys.   From what I have read the only people that dont like them have never used one.  The people that own them seem to like them.  I was all excited to get one but found out they are built to order and it would take 3 or so weeks, me being more of an impulse buyer I somewhat lost interest for now.  I also ended up buying another car, this time 75 Eldo.  I did find out that they may be at a car show in my area in Feb so I was going to wait and see one up close and maybe buy their show one after the show.

If I had the height and other space I would go with a 2 post but for now I only have a single garage under the house with a 6 1/2" ceiling so I dont have many options.  In the summer its easier to work outside and with the kiwklift being semi portable I should easily be able to drag it outside.  I was going to get the caster set because of the limited space in the garage I thought it would be easier to be able to move it around a bit.

Thanks!

TJ H

Brian

Interesting topic.

I completed construction on a garage last year.  This is a detatched building behind my house, measuring 32 feet wide, and 36 feet deep.

It can fit up to 6 cars, with no room for anything else.  Right now I have 5 cars in it, and I am trying to figure out the best location to install a lift.

I want to be able to have flexibility on arranging the cars.  Right now I have a 1965 Lincoln Sedan sideways across the back, and 4 cars side by side.  I could never do this if I had a lift in the middle of things, but I think I could if I installed a lift in the bay on the right side of the building, leaving enough room to park a bunch more cars.  I wish I could post a photo in this reply so that I could further explain.  We used trusses and vaulted the ceiling to have plenty of height, and the sidewalls are 9.5 feet high, so headroom is not a problem.

A drive-on lift gives you more options as far as parking/stacking cars, but not so good for actually pulling the wheel and getting dirty by working under the car.  A frame contact lift makes more sense if you want to use it for actual work, as you are more free to work on the wheels/brakes/suspension.

To make matters more interesting, I have a friend that bought a frame contact lift, but cant make it fit in his garage situation, so I may be able to get a very good deal on it.

I have a 76 Eldo Convert, so whatever I buy will be put to the test.  The Backyard Buddy ads showing cars laying on their sides due to being on an "inferior" lift kind of scare me, so does anyone know exactly what to look for to ensure that the lift I buy will be as safe as possible?

I would like to hear from anyone that has sucessfully installed one in their own garage.

Thanks,

Brian

PS...I do not want to be on a creeper, laying under an econo lift either.

Andrew

For  determining a lifts safety parameters, I suggest http://www.autolift.org TARGET=_blank>www.autolift.org  
I posted previously about my good fortune with a rotary lift.  In any case, buyer beware definitely applies.  BAckyard Buddy is NOT certified from the ALI, which either means they didnt wish to be certified, or they couldnt be certified.

My drive on lift has rolling lift jacks, allowing me to raise the wheels from the ramps.  No lift is ideal for every situation.  Do you want storage, workability, or both?

Good luck!

TJ Hopland

This is an old thread but I thought I would bring it back for an update because I think it is a good product, and no I dont work for them or get anything for talking about them.  I would have bought one years ago if I knew they existed.  I even though about building one myself. I have had mine for over a year now and think it is a great product.  I would use it even more if I didnt love big cars and have such a crappy small single car garage with 6' clearance.  Most of the time it just lays flat and I park on it.  I have noticed it can be a bit interesting if its wet.  If you were going to often have to drive on it when it was wet you may want to put some sort of traction stuff on it because the power coat paint gets a bit slick.  The first time I had this problem was in the winter with some sticky wet snow.

I got the HD truck model because most of my toys tend to be a bit on the larger side.

Here it is in the small garage with a 66 mustang on it.  You can see the optional casters that work great on a clean flat floor with a light car.  You can also see a bridge which are used if you need to remove tires or lift a motor or something like that.  The bent pipe is where you put the floor jack to raise the back end and extend the legs.

Here it is without the back raised up

Here is a close up with the jack and both bridges laying on it.  In all these photos it is set for the minimum length, it extends out a few more feet and will in theory hold an extended cab truck.  This photo is my 73 eldo.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason