News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2008 Cadillac CTS

Started by Johnny #662, January 09, 2007, 05:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Tozer #7946

Ho Hum (Yawn)!

That is still one bloody ordinary looking car....

John Tozer

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Now John.  They are brilliantly engineered within minute tolerances, with powerful engines that create more torque and raw horsepower than the old iron monsters of the past.  If they lack a little in style and penache, remember they are created primarily on a computer.  Now, according to the Science Channel, there is a French software company that has created, and proven, a program being used by Boeing that allows its engineers to create a plane from initial concept to completed project, including spacial variances allowing for mechanics to fit parts together without those tiny, costly mistakes that hold up production.  A complete plane, tested and ready for production without ever milling a part, or assembling a crossbeam.  The future of industrial development and production is in virtual engineering.  But one thing about machines, they are limited to the imagination of the programmer, the stresses of the materials used and functions like aerodynamics.  In other words, they can turn out a hell of a car, but style, which we see and is so subjective, is heavy, bulky, and a wind drag.  Stealthy, sleek people carriers will look... eventually... insectile or natural.  That is not necessarily pretty. There will be no more 1958 Cadillacs with tonnes of chrome, or wide bench seats with oodles of head, shoulder and leg room or heavy fabrics and multiples upon multiples of choices of color, or texture, because it weighs too much, costs too much to warehouse, and confuses the buyer who is so rushed and harried that they or so successful, such decisions are beyond, and beneath them.

LOL.  Hold onto and buy old Cadillacs while you still can!!!  Enjoy them.  Those days will never come again.  New days are on the horizon and may be just as interesting and fun, but definitely different!

Randy

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Randall,

Actually, I agree with John.

But then, I am not into cars that are the shape of these new cars.   Too drab in colour, too much plastic, and not home mechanic friendly.   No Character, and easily lost in the car parks.   Oh, and too many computers.   I like to drive my cars, not having  computers to do every function to keep me on the road.

Plus, I have a saying, that "if I cant afford to buy a replacement tyre, then I cant afford the car".

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

John Tozer #7946

Randall,

Was it the Tin Man that said to Alice "Surely it cant be that simple?"

Now all we need is one of those whizz-kid machines to design the perfect buyer for the boring stuff they produce in the name of "design" and we can all retire quietly to the garage and tinker away to our hearts content.

John T

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

John,  is anything really that simple?  Well yes and no.  But the French software is really amazing in that it can design, produce the parts and demonstrate the building process including how mechanics can get to those miserable, hard to place parts.
They are able to see while doing this virtual production run, what parts may have problems, like not fitting or incapable of being inserted due to unexpected hangups... all before they spend a dime on real parts.   It is pretty cool.  The jets that are being designed look cool, although I have no experience with planes.

I suppose cars will improve materially along with these improvements in the planning, design and development of the automobile.  Less money spent on development means more money available for the creature comforts.  Better materials and nicer combinations... well, being from Missouri I will have to see it to believe it.

I believe,for what it is worth, that Cadillac should be a goal to dream about.. to shoot for.. and not made common and affordable.  What I really want to see is an affordable small, efficient, simple car for the common citizen.  Not the most luxurious, or the best handling, but a solid, reliable, fuel efficient for people trying to make it day to day.
An American car that Americans will want to see on the road and in their driveway.

I know, I know... big dreamer.

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

When are we going to see some interior colors other than black, oatmeal, and gray.  Where are the reds, blues, white, and other formerly common colors (pale yellow, brown, etc.)?

68 Eldo white leather
77 Eldo light blue leather
87 El Camino purple velour buckets

John CLC 22641

This car does nothing for me and I cant think of anything that would make me buy it. The ultimate judge of industrial design is not who makes the car but who buys it. If no one buys these Christmas boxes, theyll have to find better designers or go the way of so many others.

John Tozer #7946

Randall,

I am an architect and the fiercest critic of how my own profession has utilised the extraordinary opportunities that computer aided design has given it. The capacity of some of these systems is truly amazing but we still have cities full of unbelievably boring buildings! I guess thats the point I would be making about cars like the CTS.

I am reminded about a saying one of my old university professors used to have about architecture students trying to design - "It is like a dog dancing on its hind legs - very clever but not very elegant!" I guess thats the problem today with most buildings and cars - the use to which the software etc is put is very clever but the product aint so elegant!

There is also an ominous aspect to the fact that the software allows them to jam pack engine bays with bits you cant access.... unless you also have access to the software in the garage or workshop. In the days before CAD etc you actually had to think about how things went together as part of the design process. Now, too many designers simply leave that to the software to work out.

I am at an age where CAD is like skate board riding - something I just shouldnt try doing! But I think there will be another generation or more before designers learn to use the new tools at their disposal to best advantage and (shades of Cadillac in the 50s!) it wouldnt surprise me if it was the aircraft industry that showed them how all over again.

I look forward to being around in, say, 2020 when the best product should be hitting the showrooms (on-line of course).

Nice topic to chat about,

John Tozer

Sal Collaziano

Quote from: Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693Hold onto and buy old Cadillacs while you still can!!!  Enjoy them.  Those days will never come again.  New days are on the horizon and may be just as interesting and fun, but definitely different!

Randy

I suppose the last BIG Cadillac was the 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. I had a 95 and miss it.. The CTS is a good-looking car in a time where vehicles are becoming much smaller.. Id still prefer for Cadillac to have at least ONE large vehicle, however.. Maybe an Audi A8L size..

Maybe if were really lucky, Cadillac will get into the retro game and produce one more 1958 for us classic fanatics...

Sal Collaziano

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Cadillac still has a pretty large car in the DTS, nee Deville,
and an "L" version is coming out soon which should be about as long and roomy as an A8L although still on the FWD platform.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Since you commented on how uninspired a lot of recent architecture is, I just had to put a plug in for our latest building here in Denver, as far as no-conventional design.  Its the expansion of our art museum, the new Freerick C. Hamilton building designed by Daniel Libeskind.  You can see it at http://www.arcspace.com/architects/Libeskind/denver2/denver2.html. TARGET=_blank>http://www.arcspace.com/architects/Libeskind/denver2/denver2.html.  I love it, though as with any radical design, it seems to be a love or hate reaction.

Dave

John Tozer # 7946

Dave,

Certainly current design software is the only reason buldings like this are possible. The drawings go to the fabricators in electronic form so that all the complex cutting and profile work can be done. Is it good architecture? I have some concerns that the technology is running away with the architecture but, sure, if you cant do it in an art gallery, where can you do it? It is only one-off buildings like this that can afford it.

Trying to imagine a whole city full of this stuff is a little trying though...... just like a whole city of CTSs would be. I guess the test will be what mainstream architecture produces with the technology and, so far, it aint great.

Regards,

john Tozer