News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 convertible, attaching parts for moldings

Started by Roger A. Zimmermann #21015, January 13, 2007, 10:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

I should find for a 1962 convertible the attaching parts for the lower moldings on the skeg. 2 types of attaching parts are used: about 8 have a screw; the dimension is 1.35 x .25 (34 x 10.5mm). The other type (about 30) is pushed in the body through a slot; dimension: 0.9 x 0.3 (22.5 x 7.7mm).
I have the catalog from Restoration specialties & supply, Inc. but none of both types are illustrated, therefore probably not available at this company.
If somebody has such clips or attaching parts or know where to order them, I would appreciate to hear some comments.
Thank you in advance!

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

A couple of years ago I had my 61 repainted. I removed all of the moldings. Many of the clips were corroded, and those press-in style clips for the skegs were in bad shape. I could not locate any source for them, and junkyard donors were even worse than my originals. So...
I just drilled out the slots so that the bolt shank of the screw-on clips would fit through. it does not take much extra width, and the molding is wide enough to cover the holes. They work great. Only one or two toward the rear are hard to access with a wrench to tighten up - the trunk bracing structure gets in the way. But with patience, and the cost of a few scraped knuckles, it can be done.
As for a source, I bought new clips from AMK. The type we use is on pages 159 and 160 of their catalog. These are the parallelogram-shaped clips with the wire tail that springs out to turn the wings properly. They even have some with the foam seal.

http://www.amkproducts.com TARGET=_blank>www.amkproducts.com

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Thank you Jim for your answer. I will probably go the same way as you did.
Thanks also for the address!

Roger