News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughm d Elegance

Started by Robert Fiorani, January 14, 2007, 02:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Fiorani

I inherited this car from my uncle I was wondering if any club members would be interested in buying it.  It is turquoise in color and the interior is the same. The roof is vinyl and a darker matching green. The car seems to be in mint condition.  It was brought up to Michigan from North Carolina where it has always been stored in the garage.  I believe it is all original and has no rust.  I have no idea what the value of this car is.  Could a club member contact me and let me know?  We are located 60 miles north of Detroit, Michigan if anyone would like to look at the car.
Bob and Barb
barbf@i-is.net

Harry Carlson #16432

Hello Robert,

I am sure your 76 Fleetwood Broughan dElegance will find great enthusiasm not only among CLC members but also among the general population of Cadillac enthusiasts.  

In my humble opinion you should get busy checking the auctions on eBay and going to websites like Mannheim to get a general feel for prices for that model car in that condition.

Posting photos and information similar to the information seen on an eBay auction will help greatly.  What is the mileage?  Is the car complete?  How does it run?  What problems and imperfections does it have?  My own opinion is the more straight, truthful statements you can make about the car, the more interest you will generate.  Showing photos of problem areas like corrosion beginning where the vinyl roof meets the fender, or whatever your car has, wont hurt the final price, everyone knows these cars are not perfect after 30 + years so a potential buyer wants to know as much as he/she can before making the trek to your place.

Where are you, Flint, Lapeer, Grand Blanc or so?  Im in Bloomfield Hills.

Johnny #662

All great info supplied by Harry. Assuming you arent classic car "enthusiasts", I would like to also add, that even though the car is 31 years old and the last of the really big Cadillacs, and I would guess, be of interest to all Cadillac enthusiasts, it doesnt necessarily mean it will bring in "big bucks".  Although the car may appear to be in really great condition, there most likely are some underlying details that might have to be attended to, such as the rubber parts, like the belts, hose etc.  What I am trying to say is that when prospective buyers come to look at the car, mostly likely they will be looking at items like these in negotiating the price.

Doug 22747

This very topic has come before us before - you might want to search the site a bit.  It boils down to finding a buyer.  These cars arent wildly popular in the hobby, at least not at present.  I have seen some really nice Talismans (top of the line) sell for $5,000.  That said, you should expect $3,500-$6,000 if the lower front fenders arent rotten, plastic body filler is in good shape, and theres no rust around the roof/rear deck.  Good luck!

Ev Marabian, CLC #17806

Bob!  Your 76 caddy broughm sounds like a real nice car.  I know these cars were very interesting at the cadillac shows here in New England.  Dont ever let that car go for less than $10,000.  I would let it rust to death before I would sell that car for $3500 to $6000.  What in the world could you replace this Caddy with a lousy $6000?  Probably a rotted out 1996 foreign piece of junk.  I have seen quite a few beautiful 1976 cadillac broughms and they were very appealing so do not let this beauty get stolen from you.  Keep it for some shows this year and you will see how various people will enjoy looking at it and maybe will want to buy it for a fair price.  You dont have to sell it to just individuals who are antique car enthusiats but to others who will become one once they buy your car at a fair price especially if it is as nice as you said it is.  Good Luck and dont be taken!

Johnny #662

Ev Marabian, nice to know that we finally have someone who has the definitive information as to what a car is worth, and what type of person to sell to.  Good advice in saying its better to let the car rust away, and be gone forever rather then pocket $6,000, which might help pay a persons bills, after all getting the right price, as defined by you, is the most important factor in selling a car.

Can I assume that since you have put the threshold on the price of the gentleman car, you will also be assisting him in finding that "right" buyer, a person that really hasnt that much enthusiasm for the car, but merely has $10,000 to plunk down for a novelty toy for themselves.  God forbid it should fall into the hands of an enthusiast that would cherish it and take care of it for future generations.  Better it could be purchased by a plumber or carpenter, who can use all the space to carry their tools from job to job in comfort and luxury.

Will you be available to the rest of the club for appraisals of our cars, and what type of people we should sell them?

Ev Marabian, CLC!17806

John, CLC#662:   Any person that would be interested in buying an antique car I assume should be in a financial position to do so.  A local club member purchased a 76 Caddy in excellent condition for $12000. two years ago.  It was not a Broughm and had a few miles on it but he liked it and bought it.  These 76s burn unleaded regular gas and have HEI ignition system with a great 500cu strong motor.  Individuals that frequent antique car shows are not all enthusiats but obviously they enjoy these cars and may be potential enthusiats assuming they can afford to be. Bob lives 60 miles north of Detroit, which I am quite familiar with, and there will be many antique car shows in his area to have this beautiful 76 Fleetwood Broughm dElegance on display and for sale.  If this car is in mint condition, as he states, he shouldnt have much of a problem getting $10,000 or more.  Forget about these buy and sell dealers out to make a fast buck!  If I lived near him, yes I would help steer him in the right direction.  All he was looking for is suggestions to obtain a fair price.  If he is in dire need for funds then that puts him in a different position and only he will have to decide when and how much he should let it go for.  Hopefully, he can wait out this Spring and into the Fall. Good luck to Bob and Barb!

Johnny #662

Ev Mehrabian,

Let me first state that my thoughts and opinions on this topic are strictly just that, my opinions, nothing more.  They are not to be taken as gospel.  With that in mind, allow me to respond to your post.  I believe that with most classic/antique cars, its really hard to really say what "it is worth".  There are just so many factors in determining what it is worth.  The only real fact is, that a car is worth what a person is willing to sell it for, and what a person is willing to pay.  I think the best we can do is give "ballpark" estimates, and very large ballparks at that.  My initial reply to you, which was I tried to with sarcastic humor, was my opinion as to what you considered the threshold of value of this car, $10,000.  I am a true capitalist, and believe in charging whatever the market will bear, but I thought a minimum of $10,000 was much too high, especially since all we know about the car, is that it is turquoise and SEEMS to be in mint condition.  Since you are a member of the club, I will assume that you have experience in the buying and selling of antique cars, and know that 2 different people, a buyer and seller, can look at the same car, and see two different cars. The seller sees a mint car, and buyer sees a nice car, that needs a lot of attention.  This is most true in the case of the buyer inheriting a car, with no knowledge of what condition a car really needs. The most likely will not see the bubbles on a vinyl top showing that there is most likely rust underneath.  Nor will they know that these particular models are very prone to rust around the real beltline.  Ironically, the 76 Broughams are one of my favorite models as they were the last of the really big Cadillacs, and to me, what a Cadillac should and feel like.  Unfortunately I dont think that many, share my enthusiasm.

I can appreciate your advising him to not give the car away to a fast buck artist.  Again assuming he hasnt much interest or knowledge in the antique car hobby, he would be easy pickins for these hustlers, and it would truly be a shame for him to be taken advantage of, but again I think the minimum of $10,000 is just too high, and if I am correct, he could passing up a lot of good legitimate offers, holding out for the $10,000.

I would give you a little argument about your statement concerning individuals that "frequent" antique car shows not all being enthusiasts.  I think by definition anyone that goes to frequent car shows would be considered an enthusiast.  But giving you the benefit of the doubt, I dont think a person that goes to a few car shows, and isnt an enthusiast, but just likes to get out and look at old cars, will turn into an enthusiast, at least not enough to spend thousands to be a part of the hobby.  Myself I am sort of boating enthusiasts, and attend as many boat shows as there are, but have yet to part with a nickel in the 30+ years I have been going to boat shows.

Again, just my thoughts and opinions, in any event I hope the seller keeps us posted on his progress and what he finally sells the car for.