News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fords hearse

Started by John CLC 22641, January 11, 2007, 09:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John CLC 22641

Cadillac to Ford: We will bury you!

Doug Houston

If youre referring to Henry Ford, he was carried to the cemetary in a Packard hearse. There are pictures of the funeral procession, and its easy to identify.

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

I think he was talking about the recent funeral of President Ford, they used a Cadillac Hearse.
I think I would role over in my coffin if a Lincoln hearse was used at my funeral.
The funeral parlor my family does business with had a Lincoln hearse (which my grandmother and a few months later my mother rode in)and a Cadillac Limo, then they got a Cadillac hearse which my aunt Bertha rode in) and a Lincoln Limo, I would think they would have both Cadillacs or both Lincolns, at least 1 was always a Cadillac.
Eric :)

Rhino 21150

I would prefer to have my ashes tossed out the back of a speeding Caddy convertible, but if I must be put in a hearse, this would be appropriate: http://www.hearse.com/pages_to_file_1/11591.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.hearse.com/pages_to_file_1/11591.html

Yann Saunders, #12588

IMHO, people dont give enough thought to their final "exit strategy".  Gita and I have it all organized (thus avoiding any hassles for family and next-of-kin who all live in Europe). We have pre-purchased our cremations (a local funeral home was having a "sale").  There will be no "pomp and circumstance", no wake, no viewing, no visitation, no ceremony, no Cadillac hearse or flower car, just an unmarked van to haul our carcass to the crematorium in a convenient cardboard box. So simple; so natural. Its the survivors who tend to make this "fact of life" a complex, complicated (and usually VERY expensive) affair.

Harry Carlson #16432

Hi Yann,

A line from a song goes, "Gravestones cheer the living, dear, theyre no use to the dead."

Whether you realize it or not, there will be people who will feel the need to mourn for you when you depart.  Those expensive funerals and processions in fancy hearses must serve an important function for some families, or else they wouldnt exist.  And hearses, of course, are treasured collector items.  They are a powerful symbol.

At least you arent wanting to get buried in a Cadillac.  When I hear people say they want that, Im thinking I would be more in mourning for the car than the person.

I think you should consider putting in your instructions that a big party be held in your memory, one in the states and one  back in Europe, so your friends and relatives can gather and eat and laugh and drink a toast to your memory.  Hopefully not too soon.

Regards,
Harry Carlson

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Thanks Harry. Thats exactly how Id like it to be.  An occasion for a family-and-friends joyful get-together, some time AFTER the "practical" issues have been taken care of (like disposing of what are euphemistically referred to as "the mortal remains" and that I prefer to call the "wrapper"), and when those who think they need to grieve my passing have got it out of their system. Hey, whats to grieve? I had a good life and a good run for my money!  

Anyway this is neither the time (I hope) nor the place for a philosophical discussion on age-old funeral and burial customs around the world, although - if I may express a personal opinion, with all due respect for members of the funeral "trades", and based also on my personal experience while shopping in SC for my own "arrangements" - I think a lot of people who buy expensive, ostentatious funerals often are being "taken for a ride", metaphorically speaking, although others DO get that "last ride" in a beautiful, Cadillac funeral coach!). Personally, I can think of a hundred ways my family could enjoy what others are prepared to spend "honoring" their departed ones who, at that point in time, really couldnt care less, one way or another.

That said, I do have one, last request (and I hope some of you will keep a sharp eye on Gita and our kids to make sure it is granted): Id like my ashes spread, at low tide, on a beach in north-western France where - it is said - I was conceived one sultry afternoon in August 1938! The map how to get there is includede among my personal papers!

And now back to Cadillacs, some of which appear to be blessed with greater longevity than we mere mortals !

Quentin Hall Australia

Gday Yann,
          Without throwing you out into the dark cold just yet . . . is there any "good stuff" that you want to sell or even just get rid of now (cheap)to save your loved ones the added burden of having to dispose of it all "then" ?. Im only thinking of them.
           Q. Happy New Year Mate.