News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible

Started by Shayne, January 15, 2007, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post a little over a  year ago....Paul, Morgan, Yann, Jeff etc.  You guys were helpful in getting some great information for my fathers car.

My question now is a little more detailed.  Without going through the build sheets one by one, does anyone have the stats on how many 1959 Eldo Biarritz Convt. were Persian Sand with and Ivory top?

I was able to uncover a statistic this past weekend that Im sure you guys already know about but if not, here it is.  Of the 1320 Eldorado Biarritz convertibles made in 1959 only 409 of them were made with Factory A/C.

Any details on my new question would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Shayne

bill refakis #3171

shayne,send me body tag/chassis number of your car,i will search all 400 of my numbers and let you know how many match your car,bill

bill refakis # 3171

forgot NO PLACE ON EARTH ARE THERE ANY BREAKDOWNS OF CARS WITH AC,BILL

Dan Stevenson

Bill why wouldnt the Biarritz build sheets indicate ac?

Dan

Quote from: bill refakis # 3171forgot NO PLACE ON EARTH ARE THERE ANY BREAKDOWNS OF CARS WITH AC,BILL

Morgan Murphy No. 17409

Ive been told that there are far more 1959s with AC in existence today than there were in 1959. I believe it was Craig at McVeys who told me that there were over 50 different part differences for air conditioned cars vs. non-air conditioned cars.

Hows Dads 59 coming?

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Hi Morgan, that statement about more ACs now than before couldnt be true. What he meant was that there were more high dollar cars, IE convertibles, Eldos, that got their ACs from "donor" mundane sedans. Its happened throughout the hobby.  Bob

wm link

I have added a/c to several cars, for my own comfort really...global warming maybe. The original data plate will denote factory a/c, and also the engine unit number behind the manifold if I remember correctly. The rear axle has a different ratio usually. I realize the data plate can be altered, but seldom do they change the other two. If all three match you have either a GREAT conversion or a factory A/C car.

Shayne

Thanks for the notes and the A/C info.  I actually have the built sheet for the car and it is a factory A/C car.  The other item that I have, and Ive been met with what could only be considered raging skepticism, is a letter from Cadillac dated November of 1972 in response to a query from my father about how many of the 1959 Eldorado Biarritz Convertibles were made with A/C.

The letter actually provides 2 numbers.  They give the total production number of 1320 and then go on to say that of that 1320 only 409 were made with A/C.  Apparently this is a big deal as no one has ever been given a breakout of this and the only other way to tell would be to wade through all of the data sheets.  

In any event, that is the scoop.  Ill have a copy sometime tomorrow that Ill be more than happy to email to anyone who is interested.

Morgan Murphy, #17409

Whoa, Shane, thats pretty a pretty reliable source as wed say in the media.  Good for your dad.  I dont think you can get any more accurate than that--other than going through all the build sheets.  It will be interesting to see if your figure matches Bills.

Morgan