News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Buying an old Cadillac

Started by Cadillac Joe, January 16, 2007, 02:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Joe

It appears that when you see Cadillacs for sale, many times the owner or dealership is asking far more than far market value. eBay is full of these overpriced cars. Based on what others sell for and the Old Cars Price Guide, high pricing is everywhere. Many of the cars never sell until a guy with too much money comes along. I would like to hear your thoughts on pricing of Cadillacs and what you may do or not do when you are looking for a particular Cadillac. Thanks.

John Binder

"You have to Kiss a LOT of FROGS to finally meet a Prince"

It is simply a matter of Time versus Money...
If you have a LOT of Money it wont take long to buy
a CADILLAC you like,

However like most of us if you dont have a lot of Money
(Or Lets be totally HONEST Here...
are trying to find a GOOD Car at <only> a FAIR price...

It may take a GREAT amount of time.

Also most people are uncomfortable making a MUCH LOWER
offer than a seller is asking, yet that is essentially what is needed to buy ANYTHING at (or being HONEST again) BELOW Market value. It is always VERY EFFECTIVE if you PULL OUT YOUR CASH OR BANK CHECK (you do come PREPARED to BUY Right ?)

Make your Low offer  Put the CASH or Check in the Sellers Hand !and Be QUIET! for a little while and give them time to reconcile this turn of events to themselves.

Most sellers have No clue as to the Value of their cars, it is up to you as a buyer to set the price while POLITELY reminding them there are many more Old Cars looking for Buyers than
vica-versa.

Happy Hunting
Remember we run on mostly only TWO EMOTIONS... FEAR and GREED !

Balancing these two for the Seller and Buyer respectively is the key to making the deal.

Art#22010

With this subject matter one could go on for ever. Point is , it is always subjective.  Regardless if the owner knows the value, he wants the most, you want to pay the least. As with most of us, we dont have gobs of money. So for me, its like hunting. One tends to know, when its time to kill.
        For me, I tend to look at the sedans as they are cheaper. The coupes and conv. I pass for the better healed. I can enjoy the hobby and the love of these cars, better, at the Sedan level. Plus, people seem to know that sedans are worth less, so that is where I tend to hunt. The big Boys, well, they can fly off for the big hunting trip with all the perks. Point is, I think with some time, each of us tend to operate and know the value of the cars , plus or minus some, in the area we can afford and go from there.
      A man told me once, one must be willing to sell, I think this is true. Well, those are my thoughts anyway.   Art

Bill Gauch

Most of the high prices are based on get-rich-quick ideas or foolish recover-the-cost-of-restoration thoughts. There is also a sentimental factor. My wife and I offered to buy a BMW from a guy. Before we offered a reasonable price, he gave us this whole background that this was his first car he owned. He got it fully loaded, including the GPS/Nav. After 3 years, he really felt like he wanted something non-RWD, so he bought a fully loaded Lexus. The dealer only offered him $12k trade-in (book was $20k). He very politely told us he wouldnt accept less than $25k, even though he was now paying 2 high car payments.

Personally, I think the best way to buy a car is to always be ready to buy that great deal, but never look for it. If you think about it, you always stumble across the greatest deal ever when you cant take advantage of it. After all, a car that doesnt sell is really only the sellers problem. Paying too much for a car, on the other hand, is entirely the buyers problem.

Art#22010

As an example, presently, there is a 1963 Fleetwood being offered on e-bay, if i remember right, 16,999.00. The seller does not offer you, to bid. Either pay that price or go.
    A nice car, however, the owner is entrenched, no place to go.
He believes his view of its worth, is that price, period. How about a dollar less, perhaps more.
    To one who views these items subjectively, it is a waste of time for me. There is simply no place to go but to his table to eat. MMMMMM. Bet I could find another just like it, or close, for much less, or better and a little more. Perhaps.
     I am convinced of only one thing on this subject matter. That car, or any car, is worth what it sells for on that day.
     If in this example, someone ponies up for that 63, then thats what it is worth. After all, would not both the seller and buyer both be happy/  Art

wm link

It sounds as if that seller has saved both you and (importantly) himself a lot of time here. What is his reserve? Will $8k buy it? There is ZERO guesswork!  There are simply those times when a  buyer (subjective or not) has to appreciate an all original, low mile, rustfree car more than its owner. Very often this appreciation is from overseas. The tragic downside is that the owner gets to enjoy the car and its amazing preservation until such person is found. I can see why he just might be in no hurry. Yes, the seller might take a dollar less and certainly more would work too, just communicate with him. You could also bet he seasons off his price, he tires of the car or he finally realizes just how common these cars are to find. Best of luck in your search.    

Art#22010

William hi. The particular car in question Im not interested in
I just happen to come across it. I thought it a good example to demonstrate the thoughts in the thread. Art

Kathy #17911

Hello Art, My husband and I are looking for a nice, low mileage 63-64 60 Special. Could not find the one you are referring to on ebay. Do you have an item number to help in our search? Thanks in advance. Kathy

Art#22010

kathy, I sent you an address directly. let me know how you made out. Art