News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 conv: priming oil pump

Started by Rob Kranenburg, January 16, 2007, 09:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Kranenburg

Hi

I have had the engine on my car rebuilt, and it has been sitting for a couple months while Ive put it back in.

The last time I did major maintenance (timing chain, oil pump etc) it was a huge pain in the behind to prime the oil pump. It wasnt primed enough the first two times (or it leaked) and to prime it I had to take the entire front of the engine off. Balancer, water-pump, front cover etc.

Supposedly, this time they packed the pump with vaseline, so it should all work. But, I cant see it so Im just making sure. If this time around I need to (re-)prime the pump, is there an easier way? Id hate to get the whole thing buttoned up and then find out....

Thanks,

RK

JIM CLC # 15000

01-16-07
ROB, IAM surprised that no one hadnt answered this. Yes. this is the short answer to your question about, is there an easy way to prime the pump? #1. mark your roter position on the side of the distriberator. #2. Remove dist.(MAKE A MENTAL NOTE of where the roter stoped turning)(Do not turn OR allow anyone else to mess with dist.while it is out of engine)#3. Useing a BIG common screwdriver,put TIP of SD in slot that was used to turn dist. #4.Turn SD in same diretion as dist.would turn if eng. were runing. (by hand) (Works better if you can chuck it in an electric-drill)HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Geoff Newcombe #4719

I had an old wood boring bit that I ground the tip off of and then put it in a drill motor - worked slick for my 66 429.  When the pump picks up the oil you can feel and hear the drill motor start to labor, I then ran the drill motor for a minute or so.  

JIM CLC # 15000

01-16-07
Rob, Geoff has a very good idea,about using a wood spade-bit to turn the oil-pump. Geoff, Which size did you use, I would thank that 3/8 or 7/16 at most would be the biggest that could be used.
Good Luck,JIM

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Probably a 3/8, this was back in 86 or 87.  :-)

RICK KOCHER

WHAT WORKS FOR ME ON THESE ENGINES IS I TOOK THE DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT OUT OF THE DISTRIBUTOR HOUSING ON A OLD DISTIBUTOR. THEN GROUND THE UPPER END DOWN A LITTLE TO FIT IN MY DRILL AND PRIME THE PUMP WITH THE SHAFT.