News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

deck height and crankshaft specs needed for 365 and 390 engines

Started by dan S., January 16, 2007, 01:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan S.

Hello,

I need the deck height dimension, with tolerance, for a 365 and 390 Cadillac engine.

Also, I need the crankshafts rod journal dimensions (diameter and length) with tolerances for these same engines.

Thanks!

Anthony Amman #15293

Dan,
You may need to obtain the factory service manual for the year of car that your engine goes into.  Your local library may have Motor Manuals going back far enough to cover the info. your looking for.  If not, go to Gearhead Cafe online, they should have a CD covering your year which would have all repair manuals associated with it on it.

Tony

dan S.

Tony,

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have the Cadillac shop manuals and although the information in it is impressive it is not complete.  

Im hoping one of the technical directors here at CLC might have access to a reference that has the information I am looking for I do not have.

Thanks,
Dan

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Maybe Egge Machine could help you out, or Terrell Machine.

http://www.egge.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.egge.com/      
or
Terrell at 254-893-2610

Warren Rauch

The connecting rod bearing number for Trw for 1949-67 Cadillacs is CB 472P. It fits crank dia 2.2488/2.2493 in . Clearance is .0008/.0028 for oil.Wall thickness of the bearin at the crown is .062 in. The OD of the bearing is 2.374/2.3745. Length of the bearing is.760 in.. I have never heard of the term deck height , so can not tell you about it. Warren

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Warren,

The term Deck Height is the distance from the top of the piston at Top Dead Centre (TDC), to the top surface of the Block.

If the Piston has a Crown, then the measurement is taken from the outer edge of the piston where it is below the Block surface.

This measurement is critical when performing machining modifications to gain compression and to not have the piston going too high so as to strike the Cylinder Head.   The thickness of the Head Gasket is also measured in its compressed state to get parts really close and personal.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rockfish39

really Bruce? Then how can a BBC chevy engine have a 9.8 in deck height?
Deck height is measured from the crankshaft centerline to the top of the block deck

SixDucks

Hi Dan,
From the nature of your questions I'm assuming that you are planning to add some cubic inches to an engine by means of an offset grind to the crankshaft. If this is infact the case....... I believe that the 390 crankshaft can be turned down to a big block Chevrolet rod journal of 2.100 and maybe even down to the small block journal size of 2.00. I won't be able to confirm until later this upcoming winter.
If this is the path you are heading down it is important to keep in mind that these engines are internally balanced and should remain this way as a custom flexplate/flywheel and balancer will be required. You will also need to be concerned with pan rail clearance and connecting rod to camshaft clearance.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys...
That post is OVER 7 years old!!
And..the OP has not been back since.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

SixDucks

Thanks Bob,that's too bad. I was hoping for a good discussion.
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham