News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hood springs

Started by Joe Bento #20081, January 19, 2007, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento #20081

Howdy!

Anyone have a source for hood springs for my 1940 Series 72?

The more, the merrier!

Doug Houston

Check Inline Tubes website. I think they have hood springs. They can also make a new handbrake cable for you.

Joe Bento #20081

Thanks Doug!

Their website appears to be down at the moment.  I will try again later.

In the meantime, any other locations?  Any idea how much does it cost to make a pair of springs?

Joe Bento #20081

Doug,

I didnt see anything on inline tubs website about springs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris McBride

Joe Bento #20081

Thanks for the lead Chris.

I had already contacted these folks and they could not help.  The led me to another source called LS Hood Springs, but they basically said they dont have any in stock and dont intend to have any more made.

Does anyone have a parts book handy?  Maybe you can tell me what models these springs will interchange with.  I have a  1940 series 72.

Thanks!

Joe

Paul Ayres #5640

Joe - You are in luck.  The springs are the same on all 1940 Series 52, 62, and 72.  Cadillac part number 1436993.  Paul

Ev CLC17806

Joe!  I suggest you try calling USA Parts Supply Ltd at 1-800-872-2013, 8AM-8PM EST Mon-FRI.  I purchased a hood spring for my 76 Caddy and it was real good.  Try and see what they got.  Good Luck!   Ev

Joe Bento #20081

Hi again!

Still no luck tracking these down.

Cmon folks!  I cant be the only one here who has ever needed these.  Anyone have a secret source (or stash) of hood springs for a 1940 Caddy?

Anyone...anyone...Bueller..Bueller..Bueller.......

Rob

When my 47 cadillac hood spring broke, I mailed the 2 broken pieces to a shop that manufactures springs and they made me a nice matching set of 4.
I did not find any part shop that stocks those.
Maybe Kanter can help.
Rob

Jerry

Try Honest Johns Caddy Corner in Denton, TX.  He might be able to help you out.  Prices are very fair and service is very good.

Joe Bento #20081

Hey Rob,

Do you happen to remember the shop and how much they charged?

Joe Bento #20081

Howdy!

I found a place that can make the springs, but there are a couple of problems:

1) The cost to make four springs is about $350.00  Most of this is set up.
2) The cost for 10 springs comes to about $50.00 per spring
3) They can produce the spring to the dimensions of the original, but since the original is broken, they can not test what the "resistance" is of the spring.

So, does anyone else need springs?  Does someone else have another source?

Thanks!

Joe

Rob

The shop in question is not in the US. They charged me about $20 per spring including galvanization. no matter how many spring I ordered. not sure about the "resistance" but if your replace all of them that should not matter too much. the thickness came out exactly the same.

Looks like should be able to find a cheaper place, maybe a small family type shop that has the equiment to do smaller quantities and dont charge too much on setup.
Rob

Jack Mcilwraith

Joe-I have a couple of springs from a 1946 62 series,which I dont need.I dont know if they would fit, but you can have them for the postage cost.They are 8 3/4" from hook to hook[end] and 1 1/8" across.I can take a photo and scan it to you if you like.

myren kohlhorst

Joe, I researched this spring problem about 5 years ago for my 39-6119. I would belive that your hood is the same size and weight. these springs are nothing like what they use for the outer hinge/ spring hinges. There pull is shorter. Im at work now and only have a little info I can share. These springs are called (extension springs),the origionals were made of .160 dia. wire and had 38 coils wrapped in 1 inch diamameter and a relaxed length of 8 1/2 inches with crossover hook ends. I measured my old ones (that would not hold up the hood) and went from there till I found some that were better and they work fine. Here is what I found. There is a free length, (8 1/2)a(initial tension) the pounds of force it takes to seperate the coils from each other and the working pounds of force every inch of deflection. These springs work at 10 1/2" to 11 1/2" of extension.
My old springs were in order of the above:
IT=35#
9 1/2"=60#
10 1/2"=110#
11 1/2"=155#
The new are .180 dia.wire,35coils,1.140 diamater X 8 1/2 long,
IT=45#
9 1/2"=80#
10 1/2"=120#
11 1/2"=180# You are working a total of 240-360 pounds of force to hold up that hood. Next is to try and find where I bought them 5 years ago. Off to the box of reciepts tonight. To be contuned;
Myren

joe bento #20081

Thanks Myren!

I gotta admit, the technical stuff blows me away, but if you have a source for springs that will work, you are my new best friend!

Joe

Paul Anisman

Joe - Try Kirk-Habicht Co. in Baltimore.
Heres the link:  http://www.kirk-habicht.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.kirk-habicht.com/

Theyre an appx 100-year-old operation that makes nothing but springs.  Ive dealt with them (although not for an automotive application).  Theyre an outstanding outfit...and reasonable.  
Be interested to hear if you hit paydirt with them.
--Paul

myren kohlhorst 17794

Joe,
Id call these people that Paul suggested and give them the information on the springs. Ask them if they can send you a couple of samples. I looked last night for
Myren a reciept but no luck. I have a couple of places for my reciepts after 6 years on my restoration.

Joe Bento #20081

I will give them a shout and report back!

Thanks!

Joe