News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

aftermarket Radio for stock opening 1951

Started by Justin Vierling, January 20, 2007, 08:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Vierling

Does anyone know of the company that is now selling the aftermarket radio that fits the stock opening in a 1951? I had seen there display last year at back to 50s in St Paul Mn. I just cant go near the dash with a saw... Thanks

Paul Flykt #18899

Try Custom Auto Sound, I used their radio in my 57 CdV. Or else there is a company in Blaine, MN that will rebuild your stock radio to AM/FM. I cannot recall the name, they advertise in Hemmings.

http://www.customautosound.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.customautosound.com/

Doug Houston

The 51 models are still 6 Volt cars. At that time, there werent any FM sets available for Cadillac. I sort of think that this is what youre looking for.

If youre looking for a regular Cadillac radio for that car, you can have the push button set or the search tune model. If you would have the search tune set, note that it has no manual tuning control, and station selection is solely by the search tuner. Finding the station you want can be frustrating, and even infuriating.

If I had a 49-52 Cadilac, Id find a push button set for that year, or possibly a PB set from 49 and use it.

On the issue of converting your radio to AM-FM, remember that the majority of those jobs are done by gutting the radio case, and replacing the chassis with a circuit board. The outer appearance is unchanged, and a lot of folks think that this is just wonderful. HOWEVER, there is no support for these conversion circuit boards, and if there is a problem with them, you will probably have to send it back to the converter if hes still in business, and buy a new circuit board. It could be expensive.

He gives a years warranty? How many hours will you be playing the set each year? Perhaps it quits in 2 years. Then, what?

If you should decide that you werent really happy with the set, you cant go back to square 1, because the original chassis is long gone.  

Do a lot of thinking about it.