News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wont start

Started by Edwin, January 21, 2007, 03:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwin

i have a Cadillac sedan devile 63.
the motor was on fire.
i restaured everything but it wont start:
Iv got sparks on the plugs and petrol on the bougies ???

Edwin

Can anyone help me out maybee problem with vacuum ??

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Edwin,

There could be a number of things that could cause a starting problem, but it is extremely hard to say what they might be without actually being there.

I take it that the Starter Motor is actually cranking the motor over?

What are the compression readings of the cylinders?

When it caught fire, was the Fire Brigade called and if so, did they put the fire out?   Fire Brigades really like filling the fuel tank with water to stop a fire from spreading.

How bad was the fire?

An engine should start even with huge vacuum problems, even if it just fires and then coughs and stumbles.

We need some more information.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

01-21-07
Edwin, Be sure that you have the three(3) things that are necessary for an engine to run!
1. AIR, for the purpose of starting the engine, its OK not to have the air cleaner on.

2. FUEL, sounds like you have plenty.

3. SPARK, must be delivered at the correct time. For example
   The piston must be approching the top of the cylinder on
   the COMPRESSION STROKE when the plug fires.
   I suspect that you have EITHER A. miswired the distribuator,            OR have flooded the engine.

I dont see you having a vaccum problem, unless some vaccum hoses were damaged by the fire and have not been replaced. (this is not to say that you will not have to make adjustments after you have it running.) And it will run!
HTH Good lock,JIM

Edwin

Maybee i have diswired the cables on the rotor who knows the exact wiring scheme ??

Edwin

First of all I,m from holland europe so my english has some mistakes..
The caddy has a 429 engine and i replaced all wiring and hoses i restaurated the carb. put a new ignition and coil i think the problem is in the ignition (wiring) can anyone tell me the exact wiring for the distributor ????

JIM CLC # 15000

01-22-07
Edwin, I just reread my anwser to your question and it was a little misleading. When I said that the distribuator was miswired, I misspoke, I meant to say distribuator cap.
As for wire the distribuator, it is simple, one wire from the side of the distribuator to one of the terminals, - + ? on the coil.But since you have spark, I would rule out that you have missed-up on rewireing the coil/distribuator.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Edwin

But Maybe i dirwired the cables fron the distributor to the bougies?/? what is the exact wiring for those ????

JIM CLC # 15000

01-22-07
Edwin, Your term bousies is a puzzle to me, unless it is what we shade-tree machnics refer to as spark-plugs. What I think you are concerned about is the wires from the distributor cap to the spark-plugs. if this is the case, The Fireing-Order is on the intake-manifold. Number One spark-plug is the one closest to the radiator.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Geoff Newcombe #4719

The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, number one is the forward-most plug  on the drivers side.  Bring the engine to TDC on number one, go from there.  Make sure the distributor is installed in the engine correctly, it is possible to put it in in any number of positions --- all incorrect except one.  Assume you know all this but, make sure you have the #1 wire in the #1 hole in the distributor cap to begin with, route it to #1 plug, next (going clockwise) route the next wire to the number 8 plug, 3rd wire to #4, etc.   You REALLY SHOULD have a Shop Manual for your car --- all of the correct procedures, firing order, timing specs, etc. are right there.  Find Shop Manuals on ebay, or from Cranken Hope Publications, etc., easy to get one.  

Edwin

Okay spark-plugs is what i mean....
Im pretty sure now that i messed up the wiring to the spark-plugs...But i made a mistake its a 390 engine ofcourse...
Thanks for your help im goiing to puzzle out the correct wiring....

Edwin

What is a intake-manifold
i dont know this english word
Sorry

JIM CLC # 15000

01-22-07
Edwin, The intake manifold has the carburator mounted on top of it. The manifold should have the fireing-order cast in one of the runners. Most likely in front of the carburator, There will be eight(8)numbers in it, one for each cylinder.
HTH Good Luck,JIM

Edwin

okay i found it ... i hope now i know this all it will run again thanks for helping....