News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

how to paint glass channels

Started by Brett, January 27, 2007, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett

Hey folks,

My 71 FWB is FINALLY under the knife. The vinyl top is now gone revealing a couple small rust holes in the lower corners. (I swear GM put these roofs on to CREATE rust problems!)

Anyway, the glass is coming out, and before it goes back in I want to personally paint it with something that will keep it from rusting ever again. Is this a POR-15 type of deal or do I need something better? This is not something I want to do twice! (we did this on our beloved 76 years ago but the rust came back!)

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Brett,

Definitely treat the window seat. I’ve had difficulties with several batches of POR 15 and prefer Hirsh’s Miracle Paint. These paints are designed to chemically interact and bind the rust into an impervious coating. I suggest you clean the surfaces first to insure the rust is only surface in nature and not structural.
GM didnt install padded tops to frustrate us. We thought they were the greatest back in the day. Under the best circumstance padded tops accumulate water, even from changes in humidity, and it feeds the tin worms over time. My 66 needed extensive work in this area.

HTH,
Ralph

Wayne Womble 12210

I dont depend on conversion coatings. I sand blast the metal, use Zinc Chromate primer and then use single stage urethane primer and paint.