News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

32 355 B Cadillac stuck clutch or tranny

Started by don pettee, January 28, 2007, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don pettee

I have a 32 that has been sitting for thirty years and appears to have a stuck clutch.  The transmission will not go into any gear at idle and simply grinds.  With one rear wheel off the ground and the clutch depressed turning the wheel turns the engine.  I have removed the lower clutch housing and can see one side of the clutch lose tension against the pressure plate when the pedal is depressed. Is anyone out there familiar with this problem and have a solution?  Is it possible that the clutch is working and the transmission is gummed up and will not work? This car had the freewheeling system but I assume that the clutch should work independant of that system.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Pettee #20471

Paul Ayres #5640

Don - Your clutch is a double disc unit, and a bit of oil or grease on the plates probably has solidified and stuck the clutch. The clutch capsule is set into the flywheel far enough that I do not believe you can pry on the plates with the clutch pedal depressed, but take a look to see if you can pry from the bottom, and rotate the flywheel so you pry all around the perimeter of the clutch.  If you cannot pry on it, to break it loose, jack up the rear end (both wheels,)  and support it solidly on jack stands.  Put the transmission in high gear, and start the engine.  This will have the whole drivetrain turning, including the rear wheels. Run the engine at about 20 mph on the speedometer.  Now depress the clutch pedal and jab the brakes quickly and hard.  It may take several tries, but this should break the clutch loose.  If it does not, you will need to remove the clutch and have it serviced.  Paul Ayres

don pettee #20471

Paul,  Thanks,  your suggestion of running on jackstands and braking did the trick.  What a relief as I was about to yank the engine and tranny.  Thanks again.

Don Pettee #29471

Paul Ayres #5640

Don - Im glad it worked.  It usually does.  Now, to prevent a recurrance, cut a length of 2 x 4 to place between the seat frame and the clutch pedal when depressed, and when you park the car for long periods, depress the clutch and hold it down with the board.  Paul Ayres