News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Steering Wheel Removal

Started by Kelly Hansen, February 13, 2007, 12:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Hansen

When the turn signal is used for a right turn it functions properley.  When used for left turn it will singal but will not stay on unless it is held down by hand.

I believe I need to pull the steering wheel to see what is going on in the turn signal assy.

How do you pull the horn pad, I guess that is the right term, to get the where you can remove the steering wheel. I am not sure how to pull the padded portion without damaging it.

The steering column does have the tilt option.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kelly

Memeber from Utah.

Tim Groves

Sounds like the cancelling cam is broken on the signal switch, real common on these.  The horn pad is held on by three screws, one behind each spoke on the pad.  Usually you have to use a flat head screwdriver, as a nut driver socket will not fit in the hole.  Once you remove the steering wheel, you will also have to remove part of the column tube that surrounds the signal switch.  An easy way to do this is take a pair of vise grips, wrap a rag around the top "edge" of the tube, then clamp the vise grips around the tube edge.  Gently tap up on the vise grips with a hammer to remove the tube (it is pressed on).  Cadillac had a special  tool to do this, but this method works.  Just be careful not to damage the tube with the vise grips.  Reproduction cancelling cams are available for around $10.  Reproduction switches cost around $275.  The switch does have to be removed to replace the cam.

Kelly Hansen

Thank you very much for your help.  Ill give it a try this weekend.