News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for a flathead rebuilding how-to

Started by Bill Gauch, January 31, 2007, 01:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch

Ok, I know this is a long shot, but...

Does anyone know if there are any books or manuals that go into detail about how to rebuild a Cadillac flathead? I have the shop manual, which will tell me how to install parts and what-not. All I could find when I looked was Ford Flathead books. I have never rebuilt an engine before, but am not afraid to attempt the task. Im sure most would think that I would be better off to just pay someone to do it if I dont already know how to do it. My response is, "If I dont learn how to do it, how will I ever know how to do it?" Even if, in the end, I pay someone to do it, I would like to know how to respond when someone asks if I want my deck aligned or what overbore I want. There are so many terms that are thrown around in engine rebuilding and I need to be able to use and understand them.

I guess to summarize:

- Is there a book?
 - If not, would the Ford Flathead books offer any insight?
 - Alternately, does anyone have any how-to write-ups that would help?
 - Alternate to that, can someone walk me through the steps from "the engine is in the car" to "the engine is back in the car freshly rebuilt"

I realize that last one might be a strech, but I would be happy to compile the steps into a how-to article for future reference or provide hosting for some sort of tech FAQ.

Joe Bento #20081

Howdy!

I went through this process about 4 years ago, and am just shy of starting the engine for the first time.  The comprehensive set of instructions I used came from a series of articles that were written for The Self Starter by Walt Brewer.  From my experience, this series of articles is EXACTLY what you are looking for.

So I would do 2 things:

1) Get yourself a membership to the CLC so you dont miss out on future copies of The Self Starter, with other valuable articles such as this series.

2) Contact Walt Brewer and see if he can e-mail you the set of articles.  Anyone else out there have Walts contact info. for this fine gentleman?

I would make copies and send you mine, but they are good and greasy now.

But the engine looks outstanding!

walker

I would think that there would be many manuals out there that would be good guides as to how to build an engine. building a Cadi engine and a ford engine or any other for that matter is essentially the same process. Use your shop manual for the specific engine you are working on for its specifications.

Bill Gauch #23121

I am actually a CLC member. I almost always post/read posts at work and have never remembered to e-mail myself my number. Both your reply and my lack of attention with my number bring up a few things that would make the CLC membership much more valuable. The Self Starter in a digital form would be great. Also, access to digital back-issues would be great too. Better forum software with the ability to log in would be quite helpful. Hmm, what else... The ability to accept credit card for CLC things... Like I said, it brings up a bunch of things. I suppose these things should go in the suggestion forum. Sorry for the rant.

Joe Bento #20081

Hi Bill!

Ranting is good for the soul. It is a non-harmful way to blow off steam!   :)

I didnt mean to set you off, so please accept my apologies if I offended in any way.

And I also agree with your comments, plus I would add the ability to attach pictures would be extremely helpful.  Smilies too, would just make the forum more fun.

Now, to the issue at hand, anyone out there know how to reach Walt?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

ITS IN YOUR SELF-STARTER, that every member, I am sure, reads from cover to cover!!  Walt has an article in pretty much every issue of the Self-Starter these days, his contact information is at the end of his article (for instance) in the November/December 2006 issue on page 16, and I quote .....

"Walt Brewer is the 2001 winner of the CLC Distinguished Service Award.  Contact him with your Cadillac and LaSalle repair questions at 3500 Wesley Ave., Denver, CO  80219 or via e-mail at wspm@msn.com  When e-mailing, please use "CLC" withing the subject line."

Bill Gauch #23121

You didnt offend me. I agree with your picture post. I wonder if I should change the title of this thread to a general CLC/tech. refresh post.

BTW, I got a copy of the article. Now, I just have to read it.

Joe Bento#20081

DOH!

I knew that.  just a brain fade.

Thats it.  No more 5 tequilla shot lunches for me.  :)

Anthony Amman

Chiltons Motor Manuals are a great resource too.  I have one that covers from 1940-1953 and it gives you the procedures you need to rebuild your engine.  Petersen Publications who produce Hot Rod magazine among others, usually has separate specialty books that deal with engine rebuilding, body and paint, etc.  The books and literature section in Hemmings Motor News will produce more materials as well.

You will need a torque wrench, micrometer, vernier caliper, and a basic set of hand tools to tackle the job.

Your local automotive machine shop will be able to help you with basic measurements to determine wear on crankshaft journals, cam lobes, cylinder taper, and other critical items.  Depending on wear in your cylinders, you may only need to have the piston skirts knurled to achieve proper tolerance without having to bore for over size pistons.  Plasti-Gauge used on the crank bearings will tell you if the crankshaft will need to be reground. HTH, best of success to you.

Tony