News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

OIl Filter & Clock Question- 1929 Cadillac V8

Started by David #23191, February 04, 2007, 07:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David #23191

Does anyone have the source for the new oil filters that look like the originals from the outside but have a spin on filter inside? Ive been told that someone is making them and I need to replace my original.

Also, my original Jaeger clock and Cadillac fuel gage need to be repaired - who is the best at doing aither of these?

Thanks for any help!
David

Alan Millard (23338)

I am having the same problem with my 27s filter.  Cant find one.  I think they change the housing.  
I just got my clock back from a guy in Peoria Ill.  That is his job.  When he was going to school. The car clock was the first thing he train on.  He is interested in them.  I ask him if he wanted me to recommend him .  He said sure.  So if you want the name and address .  I would be glad to give it to you.  This is not a little shop.  He does nice clocks.  
The gage.  There is a guy by Rockford Il.  The town is Rosco.  
I have not been up there yet.  It is over 100 miles.  So will do that this summer.  Seemed realy nice.

David #23191

Yes please send the name of the clock repair shop - much appreciated!

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

I have used the guy in Hemmings that is in WI. My son-in-law is a master clockmaker, and he still recommends having car clocks done by someone who does it as a business as they are slightly different than the ones he does everyday.

Alan Millard

That is his business. He was trained on the car clock  He did a great Job for me.  
I will get the name and address for you. I left the address at work.  
alan

Wayne #17075

David,
 Charles Sellick used to make oil filters with spin on units inside origonal cans. He got $425 for this. Hes gone now but I make the same filter. Im out of origonal filter cans at the moment. If you have a can, I make them for $300 plus shipping. Youll need tp tripple zip lock the can before mailing it so it wont leak and be confiscated by the Postal Service. You can contact me at  yachtflame@yahoo.com or 34-998-5199.

Wayne Womble 12210

Wayne,  Can you comment on what filter would be recomended. The original has a restrictor in the fitting, most modern spin ons have a restriction in the form of a check valve. I dont know how they compare from a flow standpoint, but I think it would be important.

Wayne #17075

I use an origonal can with the origonal fittings. This is connected to a Fram filter and adaptor with no check valve. This keeps the oil flow as close to origonal as possible. There may be a slight differance in flow caused by the paper element in the spin on filter. The origonal units had a wire screen and cloth gause inside. Some of the later NOS units use paper elements. DONT use an old NOS filter, keep it for display in the trunk!! The mechanic that went over my engine usually only works on Pierce Arrow engines. Finished an engine last winter and put it back in the car (a 38). The owner wanted an oil filter and found a couple old NOS filters on ebay. He hooked one up and drove the car for 10 miles before the engine siezed up! After opening up the engine again the mechanic found that all the journals and passages were clogged with rotted paper. A hard lesson!
Wayne