News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing sound deadner (1960)

Started by Diego Montefusco #21886, February 07, 2007, 07:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego Montefusco #21886

I wrote 1960, but I guess the problem applies to most years

if I wanted to remove the sound deadner from inside the doors, or above the rear wheel wells, how do I do it?! access to the inside of the doors is obviously limited to the few holes of the inner skin, while the inner wheels at the back are only accessible (barely) from the rear seat support structure and partially from the trunk.

has anyone done it? or should I just leave whats there? or possibly spray new deadner over the old one?

any advice is greatly appreciated!

diego

Diego Montefusco

lets try again if anyone has suggestions here... :-)

Quote from: Diego Montefusco #21886I wrote 1960, but I guess the problem applies to most years

if I wanted to remove the sound deadner from inside the doors, or above the rear wheel wells, how do I do it?! access to the inside of the doors is obviously limited to the few holes of the inner skin, while the inner wheels at the back are only accessible (barely) from the rear seat support structure and partially from the trunk.

has anyone done it? or should I just leave whats there? or possibly spray new deadner over the old one?

any advice is greatly appreciated!

diego

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Diego,

If the stuff was in good condition, I would be leaving it there, and simply spraying in some fresh stuff to seal it all.

But, if there is rust coming through the outside, like bubbling paint, then it will have to come out, so that the repairs can be done to get rid of the rust.

I think that the only way to remove it will be to scrape it out, using a long handled scraper, which you might have to fabricate yourself.   Various tools will be required to get into the various locations.

One of the problems with the stuff when it starts to degrade is that it loses its adhesion, and the bare steel underneath is allowed to become oxidised, and rustification starts.

The stuff in the doors actually encourages that thud sound that comes when the doors are closed, and is a sign of quality.

But, if replacing it, make sure that all the drain holes arent covered or you will have little swimming pools, and there is nothing worse than the water getting into the upholstery backing and the like, as it starts to smell.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Diego Montefusco

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992If the stuff was in good condition, I would be leaving it there, and simply spraying in some fresh stuff to seal it all.

But, if there is rust coming through the outside, like bubbling paint, then it will have to come out, so that the repairs can be done to get rid of the rust.

I think that the only way to remove it will be to scrape it out, using a long handled scraper, which you might have to fabricate yourself.   Various tools will be required to get into the various locations.

Thanks a lot Bruce! I was afraid the answer would be like that... I still hoped someone came up with an easy answer like just spray XYZ on it, and Ill come right out! :-))

does heating help removing it, BTW?  it really does look rock-hard to me...

thanks again,

diego

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Diego,

I would be VERY CAREFUL with using any heat to remove it.

The stuff is flamable, and too much heat could have disasterous effects on the outer panelling as one might be too intent on removing it, and end up with panel-warpage.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Diego Montefusco

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992I would be VERY CAREFUL with using any heat to remove it.

The stuff is flamable, and too much heat could have disasterous effects on the outer panelling as one might be too intent on removing it, and end up with panel-warpage.

Thanks Bruce, very glad you told me before I figured that out myself in the worst way!!

anyway - judging from the speed I proceed - Ill probably be 2009 before I get to that, so Ill probably have forgotten it by then! :-)

but you did all you could, and I appreciate that!

ciao,

diego
cagliari, italy