News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Freeze plug installation

Started by Sam Moore #21210, February 08, 2007, 10:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Moore #21210

I plan to renew the freeze plugs in my 49. They are starting to seep from corrosion. I purchased a set of old style brass (disc type, rather than cup) plugs from NAPA. They are convex and I understand that they must be struck in the center to expand them. I expect that the old-time mechanics developed a feel for seating them securely. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, is it advisable to use a sealant such as red Loctite?

John Washburn

Sam,

I am not expert, but I have replaced these core plugs on a few of my Cadillacs including the 49. I also use the brass core plugs. I also suggest finding the rubber core plugs, that are smaller in diameter, to carry along just in case one fails. These fit in the hole so are not the same size as the core plugs.

I just make sure that the surface is clean and if there is a lot of rust on the surface add some good sealant, not much, just enought to fill the areas that are pitted. Then smack the old beauties in the center using a good sized punch.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Snowy Colorado

Paul W Allen CLC#20193

Sam,

I replaced a couple of them on my 53 a while back. I used the brass disc type. The cup type are NOT used on the 331 Engines. John is correct on the installation. I used a little permatex around the edge, then used a small ball peen hammer. A few light taps and its done. Of course, make sure the convex side of the disc is facing the outside. Good luck with it!

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Sam Moore #21210