News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 CDV Window Glass Tint

Started by Andrew Straw 21467, February 10, 2007, 07:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Straw 21467

While my 56 CDV is disassembled for a full body re-paint, it seems like a good time to replace the window glass.  The originals appear to have a slight blue-green tint.  On the website of Vintage Glass in Suwanee, GA, they offer glass in "clear, green tint, grey smoke, dark grey, and bronze tint."  I intend to use the car for touring, so I think that some tint will make the car more comfortable (especially here in the south), but I dont want it to look unauthentic. I am wondering which tinting option would be best.  Has anyone else had to make this decision, or know what tinting options were available on the original?  I would appreciate thoughts/advice.
Thanks,
Andrew

Doug Houston

Glass normally has a green color, if viwed from the edge. This is due to a small amount of iron in the glass, and Im wondering if the "clear green" is actually non-tinted, although early tinted glasses did have a green tint.

Id feel better with the lighter gray for a GM car. If I  had a 56 fasct book, I could be sure. It will look wrong if the glass is too dark gray, I feel.

The tint in safety glass is in the interlayer of laminated glass, and not in the glass itself.