News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Steering Gear Alignment 1928 Cadillac - Urgent Assistance Required

Started by Ken Andersen # 21420, February 11, 2007, 06:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Andersen # 21420

I have had to have had my sector shaft remanufacture, by copy it form another R/H drive steering box.
Unfortunately,certain markings have not been duplicated onto the sector shaft.   These markings are the Left Zero Mark and Right Zero Mark, as appear in illustrations from the Cadillac La Salle shop manual, and in particular, from Plate 52A, page 94, Fig 1.  The Left & Right Zero marks are used to align the Steering Gear Arm and sector to ensure getting the worm on the high point of the sector.

Can anyone please advise how to align the worm with the high point of the sector without these markings????

Ken Andersen # 21420

JIM CLC # 15000

02-12-07
Ken, Sounds like it time to get out your grandchilds color crayons and a piece of masking tape and start trying to figure out where the center of the shaft is located. Once the center is located, it should be a piece-of-cake from there.
Good Luck,JIM

Ken Andersen # 21420

Dear Jim,

Many thanks for your reply.
The steering box is only partially reassembled.
Assuming I can locate the centre of the shaft, ( that is, that spline on the sector gear), how far left and right are the Zero Marks off the centre line??

Regards
Ken

JIM CLC # 15000

02-14-07
Ken, If I read your origional post correctly, It wont matter where the Zero marks are because the center-Mark will be the High point you were looking-for. Turn the steer wheel shaft one way or the other until it stops, ID it. Then turn the steering wheel shaft the other way as far as it will turn.(ID it) Half way between the two marks will be the high spot of the sector gear.I have full faith in you.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Ken Andersen # 21420