News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Lamp monitors on 72 Calais

Started by Michael Thomas, February 18, 2007, 02:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Thomas

Hi.  I just purchased a really nice 72 Calais sedan with 35,000 original miles on it.  

According to the sales brochure from 72, lamp monitors were standard on all 72 Cadillac models, but my car doesnt have them.

Im guessing that there was a change during the model year production.  Does anyone know for sure?  My car was sold in May of 72, but I dont know when it was built.

Thanks.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

It sounds as if you have a really nice car (considering, of course, what color is it?)that is worth keeping. As a close follower of 70s Cadillacs, my opinion is that somewhere late in the 1972 production-run, the factory made delete lamp monitors the standard equipment. This is based upon lamp monitors returning to status as optional on the 1973 Cadillacs, although most had them. Lamp monitors can be retro-fitted, and functional, as done on my 1971 Eldorado, and they are indistinguishable from the factory installed ones.

Greg 18360

They were optional 71,72,73,74 not sure about 75 or 76.

Michael Thomas

Michael Thomas

Hi Rich.  Thanks for the reply.  Im inclined towards your opinion that the lamp monitors were made optional during the 1972 model run.  

My 72 Calais is Promenade Gold with the gold Mayfair cloth and vinyl interior.  It was owned by an elderly couple since new and sat undrived for 10 years.  The 2nd owner, who brought it to Arizona from Washington state, bought it from the estate and it had only 26,000 miles on it.

He did a lot of work on it and Im doing a bit more, but its a sound car, clean and in excellent condition, and Im very pleased to have found it.  Its my first Calais; Ive had 11 other Cadillacs, all Devilles and Fleetwoods.  Currently I have a 68 Brougham with 86,000 miles on it and a 99 Deville DElegance.

wm link

Lamp moniters (with washer fluid monitor) were a $48 option available on ALL models in early 1972. They were soon there after made a standard item on all models (although Calais could have been excluded)...I am not sure exactly when in production that this occured. Early production information states that a vinyl top was NOT available on Calais.  Dinner is on you!