News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sabre spacers

Started by Sean Mooney, February 13, 2007, 09:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Mooney

Does anyone know the dimensions of these spacers and what theyre made from? I am a machinest and could make them if I had a sketch.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

What you might do, is start checking the list of 58 Biarritz and Seville owners to see if they had a car so equipped. You can find their phone numbers in the Directory. Even though the task might sound daunting, many more people will respond to your "cold" phone call than having it posted here.
If you will tote up the "regulars" that respond here, I think youd be lucky to find two dozen. And I dont believe any of them state that they have a 58.  I just looked at the Direcory, and whew, there ARE a bunch of them, arent there? Bet you meet some great people while youre calling. Good luck!
(Just be careful to use the 9/9 rule for their local time, and when they might be having lunch or dinner.)

Jerry

Ok - the links I posted dont seem to be working.

Try doing a Search of all forums with the key words:  

sabre spacer

Good luck!

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

I was running throuogh one of my Cadillac books during the Jepordy commercials. The 1957 FOUR door copper colored Eldorado has gold Sabres on it. I just looked in the Directory, and could find no catagory with "one" car in it. So, I either missed it, or the owner doesnt still belong to the Club. That should narrow things down for you a little bit. The car was at the Chicago GN. The one with the covered swap meet in the tent. Incidently, that book, the one with the red 56 on the dust jacket has the absolute worst captioning I ever saw. Nearly every other caption identifies the wrong year car, or model, or of all of the above. I hope its not the book mentioned in the posts about the Sabres...

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Sean,
You can Google "wheel spacers" and find many pictures of them.  Wheel spacers are readily available.  The 3/8" spacers I used to put Sabres on my 60 coupe I found on ebay.  For my car the 3/8" were the absolute minimum thickness that would do the job.  I had a great deal of trouble finding those 3/8" spacers, 1/2" and other thicknesses were easy to find.

Carl Schreiber / CLC #23157

Sean -

Having spent a large portion of my professional career as a draftsman / designer / CNC programmer, it would be a fairly simple and straightforward piece of machining to fabricate spacers.  

Id get a Sabre and measure the mounting pad diameter inside the back of the wheel (or have someone measure one for you).  Id cut it to that diameter, then just apply the bolt circle.  Pretty easy to do on AutoCad, even easier to program and machine using CNC equipment.  Material-wise, Id go 6061T-6 billet aluminum, 3/8" thick if thats whats necessary.

If I were still in the machining business, Id be turning the 2-seated ferrule (spacer as its called in the 57 service bulletin) used between the fuel line and the tank fitting - in 5/16" and 1/4" for vapor return line -equipped (A/C) cars.

The same service bulletin reccomends replacing them every time the fuel line is removed from the tank.  It also warns of potential vapor lock problems if the spacer is re-used.

Cmon Sean - its only brass, and it would be a walk in the park on a lathe.  Turn up a bunch of em and Im sure youd be able to sell em here.  Heck, Id give you $25 for a pair...

Food for thought,

Carl