News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

On 1959/1960 radiator marking

Started by Diego Montefusco, February 21, 2007, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego Montefusco

hi all,

Ive seen a period picture (out of an italian magazine of all places!) of an AC equipped 1960 Cadillac engine bay.

I can clearly see at the top crown of the radiator (the raised part in the middle) a marking that reads 35A. I know that such a code is part of the code marked on the side of it, but can anyone confirm it was really always there, on the top too? I can only assume it was stamped on the paint, since Ive never seen it on the used Harrison radiators Ive come across.

thanks!

diego

Richard Goulden

Yes I have seen with my own eyes, an original radiator top with 35A stamped on it, I even had a rubber stamp made from it.
The number was stamped with some sort of white paint, I believe it was a way to identify a A/C radiator from a non A/C one, I do not know what was stamped on the non A/C radiators.
Also there was a coloured dab of paint on the diff head, to tell the different ratios for A/C an non A/C diffs. I think a sort of olive green was on the A/C diff heads. I meant to photo mine before I took it to the sandblaster, but it was done in a rush and I forgot.
Hope this helps

Diego Montefusco

Quote from: Richard GouldenYes I have seen with my own eyes, an original radiator top with 35A stamped on it, I even had a rubber stamp made from it.

DO YOU STILL HAVE IT?!?

Ive only seen that number in a pic or two, too few details to make a stamping, but Id LOOOVE to get one... email me privately if you can arrange that: diego.montefusco@tiscali.it

QuoteThe number was stamped with some sort of white paint, I believe it was a way to identify a A/C radiator from a non A/C one

that would make perfect sense!

QuoteAlso there was a coloured dab of paint on the diff head, to tell the different ratios for A/C an non A/C diffs. I think a sort of olive green was on the A/C diff heads. I meant to photo mine before I took it to the sandblaster, but it was done in a rush and I forgot.

WOW! looks like I found someone as nuts as me in the authenticity department here!! could you tell me where it went? oh well, maybe its still on mine, although I doubt... but thanks for the heads up, Ill be looking for it! :-)

thanks a lot indeed!

diego

Richard Goulden

I thought about it after I posted that message, and now I think the radiator stamp only said 35, not 35A. my car and all my bits are in storage and I will not be reunited with them till Nov.
However I lent the stamp to a friend with an A/C car, to stamp his radiator, and we could get some photos of that if you like.
If you want 59 trivia you have come to the right place, Email me and we can talk.

Diego Montefusco #21886

Quote from: Richard GouldenI thought about it after I posted that message, and now I think the radiator stamp only said 35, not 35A.

mmmh... maybe its a 1959 thing... the only picture I have, which as I said is from a 1960 car magazine and its a nice 3/4 page big, clearly shows the marking as 35A... which after all, matches the last part of what I think is the Harrison part number on the side (59M 3148035 35A)

it would be interesting to know if the Harrison part number for a 1959 AC radiator was ending in 35 instead...

QuoteHowever I lent the stamp to a friend with an A/C car, to stamp his radiator, and we could get some photos of that if you like.

I would LOVE to, or even just stamp it on a piece of paper and mail it to me (all costs covered, of course).

do you recall what COLOR was the original marking? white? yellow? unfortunately my pic - being 47 year old - is black & white so I cant tell...

QuoteIf you want 59 trivia you have come to the right place, Email me and we can talk.

Id love to, but I dont know your email address!! mine - once again - is diego.montefusco@tiscali.it, drop me a line, please!!

thanks again, this is invaluable help!

diego

Quentin Hall Australia

Gday Diego,
            Yes if you want 59 information then Richard is the walking, talking (sometimes he even takes a breath) 59 encyclopedia. . . it will be good for you to talk to him , if only to prove that your own Cadillac obsessive compulsion is not as bad as you thought.
            You can find someones email address by clicking on their name on the left hand side of the page. Comes straight up as an email.
            When I was restoring my 59 Eldo I found the chassis nos in yellow wax chalk on the trans. The brake pedal, The rear skirts ,radiator support, and front fenders. Actually it was only the last two digits of the chassis nos.
            Talk to Richard . . . hell let you know what is right.
            Good Luck. Q