News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Eldorado horn repair.

Started by Sean Mooney #21218, February 23, 2007, 06:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Mooney #21218

I recently bought an Eldorado trumpet horn off of ebay and it doesnt blow. I have a good ground etc. I remember reading an article about restoring horns but I cant seem to find it. I think it was in the self starter but it may have been in auto restorer. Does anyone know?

Dick Heller

Viator Trudeau wrote an article for CLC on repairing trumpet horn.

Dick

Tim Coy #11513

Thats correct. An article on fixing horns in late 1950s to early 1960s models was in the June 2005 issue of The Self-Starter. Theres an exhaustive index to every SS technical article ever published on pages 27-29 in the 2007 CLC directory.

Tim Coy
Art director
The Self-Starter/International Membership Directory

DaveW

Does anyone have a copy of the June, 2005 Self Starter they would consider selling, loaning to me, copying the horn repair article from, faxing a copy of the horn repair article, etc.  I am trying to repair several horns.  Have been successful on one.  Current project has yielded no success yet.

Thanks,
Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Walter Youshock

A quick and easy synopsis is to first spray WD-40 or PB Blaster into the horn.  Next, remove the adjusting screw in the vicinity of the positive wire connector.  Spray solvent in there as well.  Let it sit overnight.

Replace the screw until you first feel resistance.  Hook the mounting bracket to the negative pole of a 12V battery charger or 12V battery.  Touch the Positive side to the wire connector of the horn.  It should blow.  If not, turn the adjusting screw in until it makes sound.  If it still doesn't after about 3/4 to 1 full turn, the horn vibrator is likely shot and it has to be rebuilt.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

DaveW

Walter,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you have a copy of the June, 2005 Self Starter?  I have tried the obvious stuff like you mentioned in your reply already.  When I finally got my other horn to work it was after much troubleshooting until I boiled it down to a bad insulator and a loose end cap.  Took me a while to figure it out on my own.  I'm hoping there may be some technical nugget in the article I'm overlooking that may seem insignificant to others.  I'm guessing each horn may have its own peculiarities.  For instance, my first horn did not blow until the adjustment screw was turned multiple turns past contact with the points holder.  The screw was almost out of threads at that point.

Let me know if you have the article.

Thanks
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

p tesone

Sean & Dave - I have the article you're looking for. I took a photo and tried to attach it to a reply but I'm severely computer challanged so it didn't work. Email me your fax numbers and I'll send it to you on Monday. If I can get my son to figure out how to post the photo before then, I'll do that.  Problem has something to do with the photo having too many gigabytes to attach. Paul Tesone CLC # 6876 . tess352@yahoo.com