News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac ElDorado Biarritz Convertible~ULTRA RARE!

Started by Dick Heller, February 24, 2007, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Heller

eBay Item number: 110094664545  

Wonder if the Ford designers copied the rear taillights (and the toned down fins of this 59 Eldorado) when designing the 61-63 Thunderbird?

Greg McDonnell CLC# 20841

Whats the story with this car?  Ive read all the questions and the sellers replies regarding the fins. Is it possible this is one of the prototypes for the 59 Cadillac or is it more than likely an ordinary Eldorado that had its fins shorn years ago?  In my humble opinion it looks ridiculous but obviously with all the bidding going on, someone wants it. I guess, if it is indeed one of the rare prototypes, it would be worth quite a bit.  But there is no way to really know.  At one point it was up to $50K but someone withdrew a bid some time today.  The reserve has no longer been met.  Will be interesting to see what happens...

Greg

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

This car was the subject of a previous item, and it is just another poor attempt at customising by someone who hated fins.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Joe Abernathy #17524

The car is obviously an Eldo that has had its fins shorn. If the price was right I would be interested in buying it and replacing the fins from a 59 donor.  After all they may bring up to $125k if done right

Make no mistake though.  This car is no more rare than any 59 Biarritz.

It could be someones way into a 59 EBZ other than paying the going premium.  But that all depends on the seller.

BJ

Greg McDonnell CLC# 20841

Quote from: Joe Abernathy #17524The car is obviously an Eldo that has had its fins shorn. If the price was right I would be interested in buying it and replacing the fins from a 59 donor.

BJ

Apparently the seller had a reserve very near $50K. Wondering what you meant by "if the price was right".  Not that Im interested in bidding.  Im not a huge fan of the 59 models and prefer the 60 Eldos.  However, I am curious as to how much this car is actually worth in its present condition.  It seems to me, with this very obvious modification, its value would be diminished quite a bit.

Greg

Joe Abernathy #17524

If the car could be bought arond the $35-40K range I would consider it a good buy.  Keep in mind you would have to find a donor for the fins, but finding a wrecked and rusted 4Dr 59 shouldnt be that hard or expensive.  The fins being where they are should not be affected by the rust.

Then again I can do all the resto work myself, saving me having to hire it out.

It does appear to be a real car though.  It looks like they cut the fins off right above the original tail light location and stacked the tail lights and filled the top of the slice.  Then added some trim from the side of a 62 series to top it off.

Its best that his reserve is where it is.  All I need is another project.

BJ

Richard Goulden

Cant use fins off a 4 door, they are different. Same height but different length along the top, this was done to get the 4 doors in. Not many people are aware of the difference, just check next time you see a four door, once you see it, you will allways notice it.

Joe Abernathy #17524

I realize that the 4 Doors are shorter, but I dont think that would matter with this car.  If you look at the fins it looks like they only took off the back part.

It looks as though the car will sell.  Good for the seller.  I believe she said she is a single mom and needs the money.

I would love to have it and make it whole again, but alas...

BJ

Paul Z

quote: "If the car could be bought arond the $35-40K range I would consider it a good buy. Keep in mind you would have to find a donor for the fins, but finding a wrecked and rusted 4Dr 59 shouldnt be that hard or expensive. The fins being where they are should not be affected by the rust."

Except that 59 sedans and 59 coupes have different height fins and different length stainless trim across the top of the fins. Somebody told me that about ten years ago, when I had several 59 coupes, convertibles and sedans. So I went out, measured them and compared. They were right!

Paul Z

Sorry Richard. Didnt read your post before I replied to the post by Joe, before yours, in regard to the 4 door fins. Seems like only us antipodeans know about this!!!??????

Paul Z

Harry Carlson

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought the 59 coupe and convertible fins were identical, and they are taller than the sedan fins.

Paul, are you saying the convertible fins are different than the coupe fins which are different than the sedan fins, so there are 3 different 59 fins?

Richard Goulden

Let me give what I believe is the correct answer. The convertible and coupe tail fins are exactily the same, The sedan fins are the SAME HEIGHT, but the flat area along the top is shorter, and the curve down, is steeper and lower. This was done to accomadate the rear door. As Paul said, the stainless along the top is different lengths and curves, and is not interchangable, between coupe/ convertible and the sedan.
I once saw a 1959 convertible that had been definned, and refinned over the years. The owner was not pleased the the coupe/ convertible stainless that he had just bought would not fit, because his car, was now sporting sedan fins.
Note, if the fins on all 59 models were not the same height, there would be TWO different types of chrome fittings that go between the two upper tail lights and the top of the fins at the rear, and I have never heard of, or seen this.
As for the Eldo that was on E Bay, I have never heard such hogwash about it being a mystery car etc. The simple fact is that finned cars were so dated in the 1960s, no one wanted them, so it was not unheard of, to have cars " definned", as a way to make them appear less dated. I believe that the E Bay car could be refinned, but you would have to get the cuts just right, and it would be a hellover job to weld those long panels with out distorting them with the heat.

Jerry

No one mentioned that the Series 75 Limo fin is not as tall as the coupe, convertible, sedan and commercial cars.

Unless you owned a limo and tried to fit a coupe/convertible/sedan tail light housing you would not necessarily notice the difference.

Joe Abernathy #17524

Once again, it doesnt matter that the sedans fins are smaller.  If you cut about 4" below the pinchweld you will have the basic shape.  Will it bolt right on?  Nope.  You may have to fill some gaps with sheet metal (you can buy it from any metal supplier).  As far as the cuts being exact or this being a "hellover" job, not really.  Anything can be done with some effort.  Shoot, with a welder and a brake you could make the fins from scratch.

And you can weld long flat panels without warping if you know what you are doing.

BJ

Stewart Homan

Dont put sedan fins on the car?

This is a 42,000 mile original 59 Biarritz with grey buckets out of Washington State that has been garaged for 40 years - I dont think you could get better in terms of a barn find!

Is replacing the fins and worse than replacing a floor pan, rockers or safe a whole roof on a rusty Seville - of course not!

Finding a super nice set of rust free two door fins is a relatively simple task so bodging on sedan fins on this car isnt an issue.

I think bringing this rare combod beauty back to its former glory AND getting this girl some decent money for the car is a noble task!

...and one that Im looking forwards too! ;))

Stewart Homan

**Is replacing the fins any worse than replacing a floor pan, rockers or say a whole roof on a rusty Seville - of course not!**

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Stuart,

Congratulations on being the successful bidder.

Looks like another rare car has gon to a loving owner outside USA.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

P.S.   Is this car going to be a "Keeper" or a "Seller"?

Stewart Homan

Hi Bruce,

This 59 will be a keeper - I think they grey buckets look sensational - I cant wait to get the car back here!

Best,

Stewart

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Hi Stewart, are you going to put the fins back on? My vote is to leave it as-is. ANYONE can have a stock 59. This,in my opinion, was work done when the fins were not desired & looks pretty good. However,I would not suggest that someone do that customizing now. Good Luck. Bob

Stewart Homan

Hi Bob, I know where you are coming from but I feel the car deserves to have the fins put back on - it must be unique having a 59 Biarritz shorn like that but it most certainly would look better as it did when it left the factory!

Notwithstanding, I dont think I could bear having to explain time and time again why the car had no fins!

Best regards,

Stewart