News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 Coupe de Ville Ad

Started by Joe R #20442, February 28, 2007, 12:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe R #20442

I am looking for an ad or photo of a 1974 Coupe de Ville in the color red (Firemist?) for a friend.  There is very little on eBay (unlike all the 1963 ads I have bought) and cant find the actual color pallette in the Cadillac Database.  Does anyone own such a car who is willing to part with photos or know if such an ad existed for 1974?

This is for a friend who once owned one and regrets selling it....looking for a bit of nostalgia for him.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

wm link

There were three reds offered in 1974. The color you speak of is probably Terra Cotta...its an orangish red metallic and it was very popular that year. Dynasty red was a non-metallic lipstick red. Cranberry firemist has a lot of violet to it and was usually paired with white leather. National Geographic usually had Cadillac ads...I am unsure if the ad you are looking for exists unless you flip through Sept 73-aug 74 issues of such magazines.  

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Some friends of mine had an orange 74 Coupe de Ville with an orange plaid cloth and white leather interior.  I think it was called Mandarin.  Am I correct and was it a firemist color? Im asking this only to jog my memory as I definitely dont want one in that color; I dont like orange in even small doses.

wm link

Yes, mandarin orange was a late offering as a Spring color...most people  remember it paired with the plaid interior. It was also offered with all white leather. I owned a very well preserved 32k mile mandarin CDV with the white leather and black carpet and dash. I really enjoyed that car and the color...I bought another. The later one has the plaid interior that I must say has grown on me too because it is 70s to the EXTREME. Its actually a very fun car to own and it seldom goes unnoticed! Much like the fins of a 59. Mandarin was offered through 1975.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

You have to appreciate these period colors and interior styles on 70s cars.  In 75, I bought a 74 Eldorado Cabriolet Coupe that was Lido Green (a 75 color, introduced in the spring of 74) with matching padded cabriolet roof and a green plaid interior.  The bolsters were green leather; the seat inserts were green plaid cloth.  One feature of this particular car was a 50-50 split front seat which had, instead of a fold-down armrest, a cylindrical pillow-type armrest that fastened to the two halves of the front seat with four straps -- two on each side.  The straps were flexible enough to permit the pillow to remain in place even if one side of the front seat was farther back or forward than the other side.  A friend had an identical car in Mandarin Orange, with the orange plaid interior.  Today these styles sound garish, but at the time it was the "cats meow".  

In recent years, I have not seen another one of these Eldorado Cabriolet coupes with the plaid interior, but I have seen (at CLC Grand National meets) a 75 Eldorado coupe with the cylindrical pillow in the center of the divided front seat in place of a fold-down armrest.  

wm link

I am familiar with those rare pillow arm rests...but thought it was a 75 ONLY option, I was wrong there. Yes, lido green was also a new spring color that year. How about the Electric 74 Persian LIME firemist! I also had a 74 Fleetwood in Cranberry Firemist. 74 seemed to be the one year that really offered unusual colors. It is interesting that my orange w/plaid 74 CDV has the then NEW sew pattern of the 75-6 models. I however wish Cadillac had retained the older pleated seat style.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Now, if you guys had wanted to make a real "Sock it to me" entrance in your wild green, orange, and plaid Cadillacs, you would have driven them wearing 100percent textured polyester leisure suits in matching colors.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Who says we didnt wear them in the 70s?  Also, lets not forget about Nehru jackets.

Joe R #20442

Thanks for the info...his was Terra Cotta with white vinyl (I thought he said it was part vinyl (landau?).

I know someone who has all of the National Geographics (they cut out all the 63s for me from that year too)-so I will ask them to look through them.

Thanks again-
Joe