News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1967 CDV steering colunm

Started by Kelly Hansen, February 28, 2007, 02:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Hansen

I have a 67 Coupe an have had some problem with the turn signals.

I have pulled the steering wheel, but can not get the part of the column loose that keeps the signal switch from being removed.

Wheel has tilt and telescope, I pulled the lever that makes it tilt and the lever that signals.  The hazard switch button just spins but does not come out.

Does anyone have a 67 shop manual that has an exploded view of the steering wheel / column assembly?  If so would they be willing to copy that page and fax or mail it to me.

National club member from Utah.

e-mail    hansenkd@worldnet.att.net

Any help greatly apprecaited.

Thanks, Kelly

tim groves

To remove the collar around the signal switch, you will need a pair of vise grips.  Take a cloth and wrap around the "edge" of the collar, and apply the vise grips (cloth is to prevent scratching collar).  Dont overtighten the vise grips or you may bend the collar.  Take a hammer and tap upward on the vise grips to remove collar.  The collar is just pressed on.  Cadillac had a special tool to do this, but I have removed them this way.  Just tap it back on when you are done.  

You said the hazard button just spins.  Did you remove the plastic cap on it?  The screw is under the cap.  Good luck, Tim

Kelly Hansen

Thank you for your reply.  I did try it with the vise grip and hammer and did not get it to move at all.  I also tried a puller where the jaws pointed outward. There is a lip at the top of the column and I pulled hard enough trying to remove it that is was barely starting to bend the lip.  I did not have the hazard buttom removed but it had not moved enough to hit the hole in the column to against the button.  

At least I do not think the hazard button was part of the problem.  I will have to remove the hazard button and see if it is what is holding me up.  At least I am one step closer.

This particular car has both tilt and telescoping column does that make a difference in how it is put together?

I am in Sandy, Utah near Salt Lake City, and it is still snowing here.  I have 4 Cadillacs and due to lack of storage this one is outside, I may have to wait a week or two to get back to this.

I do really appreciate your help.  I have had great response over the years from fellow members, even been able to help a couple of guys on their 1955s.  This message board is a great resource.

Happy motoring!  Kelly

Paul Ayres #5640

Kelly - I went through this last year on my 67 convert.  I will copy the shop manual pages for you if you still need them, and loan a couple tools I made to pull the collar and compress the lock plate spring (almost impossible without a tool.)  Just let me know what you need.  Paul Ayres

Kelly Hansen

Hi Paul,  I am going to have another try at it today.  If I am usuccssful  I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks much,

Kelly Hansen
Member 11930

Kelly Hansen

Hi Paul,  I got the collar off. (did end up making a tool to do it)

Can you tell me where you found a turnsignal switch.  If we have the same set up the switch is a BOYNE brand with two wire looms one 8 strand and one 3 strand.

Thanks for any further advise you can give me.

Kelly

Paul Ayres #5640

Kelly - All the 1967-8 tilt columns used the Boyne switch.  Only the non-tilt used either Boyne of Delco.  I got a NOS switch from Yesteryear in Florida.  They are expensive, but they have the parts.  PO Box 380632, Murdock, FL 33938 (941) 743-7784.  http://www.car-nection.com/yesteryear TARGET=_blank>www.car-nection.com/yesteryear       Paul