News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 Biarritz Top Color

Started by Erich Weber, March 05, 2007, 10:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erich Weber

My original triple blue (argyle blue metallic) 59 Biarritz needs a new top. Right now it has an incorrect white top.
The specifications manual says just blue for top color nr. 8.
Im not shure what color was originally used on that top.
I guess the material was Vicodec vinyl.
Ive seen a lot of 59 Bias, but I never saw one with this top color. Most of them have a cloth material in medium blue or dark
blue.
The same problem I have with my blue 58 Biarritz that needs an
argyle blue top. Where can I find it?
Does anyone know the right color for the 59 top and where do I get the material?
Thanks in advance for your help
Eric from Germany  

Erich Weber

Hi,
to bad that nobody can help me with blue top color.
As far as I know, this is the only original triple blue 59 Bia.
existing. If you know of another one, please tell me!
Eric

Dick Heller

Contact BILL REFAKIS #3171 (wrefakis@aol.com)who is cataloguing all the 59 Biarritz survivors.  He may be able to assist you in confirming that you have the sole triple blue color combination.

Dick

Quote from: Erich WeberHi,
to bad that nobody can help me with blue top color.
As far as I know, this is the only original triple blue 59 Bia.
existing. If you know of another one, please tell me!
Eric

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Eric,

Your question is difficult to answer because colors are difficult to describe.  In both years the blue top approximates the paint color, which I would describe as medium blue. The Vicodec fabric is standard vinyl coated diamond point material with black inside lining. You can buy a sewn top from many sources (Jenkins Interiors being one). I’d suggest you get color samples from top suppliers and pick a close color. The diamond point fabric roll stock is made by one or two sources, so checking a well stocked top supplier will show what colors are available.  The canvas “Stay fast” material would be incorrect for your cars.

HTH,
Ralph

Erich Weber

Hi,
thanks for your answers Dick and Ralph.
Im getting samples of blue Haartz vinyl, so I can find out
what color is closest to the argyle blue metallic. Think this is
the easiest way to solve the problem.
Eric

Richard Goulden

A similier question. Who makes the most authentic looking top for a 59 Cadillac, and what do I have to check, diamondback patern,type of material etc. I only need a simple white, I pressume there is only one white offered in 59.
Thanks

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gentlemen,

You should use whichever material you like best. However, Cadillacs used a standard vinyl coated (Vicodec) fabric for the convertible tops, not Haartz cloth of Stayfast. The latter two are the “fabric” like materials used in Europe. “Diamond Point” may be slang terminology, not the brand or trade name. Every upholstery guy with gray or thinning hair I’ve met knows exactly what it is. It’s the standard material used on most American cars right up through 1976 and even on the coach built 80’s Eldorado and Riviera. I suspect the name is derived from the tiny, pin point pyramid shaped grain in the vinyl surface.
If you can wait a bit, I have samples of the ’58 and ’59 top materials that I’ll scan and e-mail you. My computer is being repaired and I’m working with a borrowed, 70’s era coal powered PC with no peripherals. As soon as my system is back up, I’ll send you color scans. E-mail me by clicking on my name at the upper left of this message so I can capture your address.

I did some research a few years ago for a Cadillac project and found the following information: There are two USA manufacturers of Diamond Point top roll stock. They sell to fabricators who cut and sew the tops and sell to upholstery shops. Most pre-fab tops are of comparable quality, but I’m certain some are better than others and your shop should advise you. Back in the day, the top material had the same or similar color fabric lining as the outside color. The exception was white which typically had a black lining. Today, with the diminished demand, the material makers use black liners for all outside color. The critical part is installation. Some shops will pull and tug the material leaving you with incorrect and shabby looking concave surfaces.

I would recommend that you contact Jenkins Interiors for samples of the closest matching color. ( Disclaimer: I’m am not a relative or commissioned agent and have no financial involvement in the recommendation.)

Richard, there is only one white color (Trim Code 1)used in ’59 for both the 62 and Eldorado series convertibles.

HTH

Ralph

Mike Josephic #3877

Just my 2 cents worth to add to your comments.

The original convertible top material after Cadillac got away
from cloth in the early 50s was Orlon.  The Eldorados in
1953 - 55 all had it.  Orlon was a very pretty looking top
material, almost translucent, but the problem with it is it
lacked durability from the elements.

So, I believe in 56 or so they went to the material youre talking about which Ive heard described as pin-point or
diamond point nylon.  Mike

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike,

You are correct. I checked my sample books and ’55 states “Orlon” while ’56 and later just state the color. My eyes are not as new as they were in ’55 but the Orlon material appears also to be a pin point pattern, but smaller than in later years. Now, do you remember shirts and socks made of “Banlon”????.....We had a lot of ..lon materials then.

Ralph

Erich Weber

Thanks a lot Ralph
for mailing me the original sample sheets for 58 and 59
top materials. I printed them on foto paper, and the colors
came out very nice.
Eric

Erich Weber

Hi,
just got samples from Putt Georgi of ARO 2000, Walden, NY.

The material that comes closest to original is Haartz Pinpoint
vinyl, medium blue nr. A 38.
ARO 2000 already produced 59 and 58 Biarritz tops, see pictures
on their homepage.
So after long research this will be the final choice for my 59
triple blue Biarritz, that lived with a wrong white top for over
20 years now.
The 58 Bia will get the same color.
Eric

Stewart Homan

My Argyle blue car is away at the painters right now so I (nor Bill!!!) know if its a triple blue or white top car but I will check - my point/question is: From the factory, were those two top colours the same in 58 and 59?

I know the S62 and Biarritz blues are different certainly in 58 (from my dealer colour book!)

Erich Weber

58 Biarritz top color is different from 59, looks a little
darker to me by comparing the sample sheets. 58 top color is
called argyle blue, while 59 just calls blue.
Would be interesting to see more of your car Stewart.