News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

54 gas tank queries

Started by Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192, March 05, 2007, 01:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Hi everybody, Im just about ready to re-fit my gas tank to my 54 Coupe DeVille and looking in the workshop manual it says that it is fitted with anti squeek, which I assume [ yes, I know what assume does!] is some form of rubber ? strip between the straps and the tank , is this correct ? Also I need to replace the filler hose , will this have to be special rubber, as I have an offcut of my radiator hose that is the right size . Will the gas eat into this , or will it be ok ?
I await your wise answers !!
Phil

Mike Josephic #3877

Do NOT use the radiator hose piece you have to replace the fuel line to the tank.  You need a fuel resistant rubber compound that is not the same as those -- if you use this rad hose it will fail and start to leak.  See a good parts store and ask them about the type you need - they will know.  As far as the lining on the tank straps, I think a fiber or teflon type lining would do nicely.  Rubber would not be my first choice
as it dries out.  Mike

Joe 12138

Most auto parts stores have fuel hose availible priced by the inch for this applications. You need to measure the ID. Its usually made by Gates or Goodyear, and is much stiffer and has more fabric than a radiator hose. Try Napa......

Thanks guys, I figured that would be the case with the hose. I am in the UK and our parts stores arent so well stocked , however I do know that various types of Gates hose are available here.
Thanks again,
Phil

baxter culver #17184

The fuel hose from the tank forward connecting to the fuel pump should be high pressure fuel injection type.  Modern fuels (at least here in US) contain compounds that will render older fuel lines mushy and leak prone.  Measure the od of the metal fittings at the tank and fuel pump to determine the id of the flexible (rubber) hose.

If your fuel filler pipe into the fuel tank has a rubber connector and is also in need of replacement, measure the OD of the pipe (probably about 2) and look for a supplier that sells aircraft fuel hose.  I found mine at a Goodyear Rubber Store--they have everything made in rubber, or can get it.

Thanks Baxter, our fuel is going the same way as yours ie. strange additives that eat rubber. My rubber hose at the fuel pump end is a correct modern replacement [as is my fuel pump]. I will search for the correct hose for the fuel filler to fuel tank , I live near Heathrow Airport and a lot of the associated industries are close by. Thanks,
Phil  

Paul Anisman

Phil - If you encounter difficulties in locating tank filler hose, contact this outfit:  http://www.potomacrubber.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.potomacrubber.com/  I assume theyd ship you whatever you needed.  Ive repeatedly used a really tough hose they stock, called Marine Tex.  Hopefully, theyll be able to match your diameter.  Its very fuel resistant hose (although not intended for continuous immersion in gasoline, but thats not what youll be using it for).  Only downside is that its a bear to cut.  Good luck.
--Paul

Thanks Paul, Unfortunately the hose will be immersed in gasoline most of the time as it is below the halfway mark on the tank!
Phil

Paul Anisman

Quote from: Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192Thanks Paul, Unfortunately the hose will be immersed in gasoline most of the time as it is below the halfway mark on the tank!
Phil

Hi, Phil - Id still get in touch with them if nothing turns up for you in the UK.  They might have something else that fills your bill.  They stock every kind of hose imaginable...including fuel delivery hose.  Matter of fact - if you shoot me the dimensions of what you need...length and O.D., plus any need for bending in the pathway, Id be happy to give them a buzz and get an idea of whats available.  Theyre right in my area.
--Paul

Thanks Paul, Ill get in touch with them if I have no joy over here.
Phil