News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 Brougham Seat Heater

Started by John Morris., March 07, 2007, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris.

The newest Caddy Ive ever parted is this latest 66 Fleetwood Brougham. It has a seat heater system which I am removing. There are harnesses going into the seats, attached to some cloth material, apparently the heating elements. Though the drivers side seat cover was not worn, the heating pads on that side are tattered. The whole system looks nos other than that. Does anyone know about this heating cloth? Is it replacable? Thanks in advance!!

Doug Houston

I think Id shy away from the seat heaters that year, and definitely the 67 models. The story tells that the heaters were OK on the 66 jobs, and that Cadillac added a supplier for the 67 cars. They had a few fires with heaters in 67; such that they had a recall, where the dealer cut out the wiring for the heaters, and refunded the cost to the customer. They were unable to establish which vendors heaters caused the fires, so they kicked out all of them. I also heard tell that the dealers went around to junkyards and cut out heaters in wrecked cars.

Do what you want to, of course, but drive carefully, and carry a big extinguisher.

John Morris.

Egads, now I wonder if I want to sell the set! I wonder what to do with the mint harnesses ect? The switch looks nos too. Thanks for the hot info.

wm link

Seat heat was offered thru 1969

Doug Houston

Well, OK, but there has to more to the story than that. The tale aboput the fires in the 67 cars has substance, but it would be interesting to know what happened after that. Something changed, but what?

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

John,

Im replacing the heating pads with modern elements while reupholstery my 66 Brougham. The new elements are available in most upholstery shops and can be cut to size. I had to change the plug ends to mate with the original harness. There is also a seperate inline fuse . There is a schematic in the shop manual that details the complete system.

FYI....
Ralph

John Morris.

Thanks Ralph. By the way, this Brougham has some fabulous dry desert pieces and every option except cruise, buckets, and headrests. John..