News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Hydramatic Torque Convertor Gasket ???

Started by Charles Phelps, March 08, 2007, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Phelps

The engine is out of my 1953 Cadillac, and The shop said they need a gasket that goes between the Flexplate and the Torque Convertor. Its big and round and has a bunch of holes (bolt holes I believe).

Anybody know what its called, and who sells one???

thanks
Charles

roy pierce

Doug Houston

Its caled a Torus Cover Gasket. My neareby parts book only goes to 1951, but I believe that it was the same through about 55. The flywheel is about 14 inches on the post-48 model cadillacs, and the same as Oldsmobile, and surely Pontiac in those years.

Oh, and by the way..that thingamajig on the flywheel is a FLUID COUPLING, and not a torque converter!!!!  The guys ion the transmission shops arent old enough to ever have seen anything but a torque converter, so no matter what it is; its a torque converter. And, theyll never say otherwise!  But on a 53, I have to cover myself. If you have one of the Dynaflow cars, it IS a torque converter.

For a gasket, you might try NAPA. That gasket is usually supplied with the seal kit. The thing is a thin treated paper piece. I believe that there are 30 bolt holes, and two alignment pin holes.

roy pierce

Made a mistake, that is, Autotrans5@aol.com , cant remember the price but it wasnt much.

Jack Hoffman 7042

Gaskets are also available from Coopers at 818-567-4140

Charles Phelps

Wow.

I thought I was going to be wondering forever!!!

Yes, my car WAS a Dynaflow car, but was converted to a Hydramatic sometime in its history.

Ill be calling Coopers in the morning, as I have to place another order from them anyways.

Ive been a cadillac owner for 3 months now, and this group has proven to be a god-send. The knowledge is outstanding! Ill be sending out my CLC membership dues tomorrow...itll be the best money Ive ever spent on this Cadillac!!!

Thanks
Charles

Geoff Newcombe #4719

.itll be the best money Ive ever spent on this Cadillac!!!

You got THAT right!