News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

DeVille sedan 63 Starting-Problems

Started by Edwin, March 16, 2007, 07:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwin

After restauring my 390 engine it wont start anymore.
Im out of idias:
The sparkplugs spark,
The petrol goes down the Carb (restaured aswell)
The only thing im not sureof are hte vacuum hoses.

But with not all hosses atached it still has to start wont it ????

Who can help me?
Edwin from the Netherlands

wm link

I would do a compression test to be sure your timing chain is right. Verify that you have spark (with correct firing order) and good fuel. You may also have to adjust your distributer timing bu turning the distributer advance or retard.

John Morris.

Did you check that the choke is working? Is the distributor 180percent off? What about the didtributor points, is the dwell correct?

Dennis

Check to see that your distributer isnt 180 degrees out of where it should be pointing.  Rotor should be pointing to number one spark plug wire while the number one piston is at top dead center. If its pointing at the number six wire when the number one piston is at TDC, simple life the distributer and rotate the rotor until it points to where the number one wire should be. To better see whats up, wrap a turn of masking tape around the distro body and install the cap.  use a marker to mark where each plug wire is located.  Then perform the troubleshooting steps listed above.

Good luck.

dd

EdWin

walt #23510

Edwin,
  I cant give you much more then the other gentlemen have,but Ill try.
#1 remove #1 spark plug(be sure you remove #1 not #2)
#2 crank motor slowly with finger in #1 hole until pressure is
   felt(compression),stop cranking the moment its felt
#3 using socket and breaker bar,slowly turn motor in direction  
   that it normally turns while viewing the crankshaft dampner
   and position it near where the marks indicate TDC.
#4 remove distributor cap and ensure that the rotor is pointing
   towards #1 sparkplug wire.(if not,then align it)
#5 now take the spark plug you removed and push it back into
   its wire and hold the plug against a ground.
#6 have partner crank motor and  view plug to ensure it is    
   sparking.If it is,reinstall it.If not,trouble shoot your
   ignition sysem.
  If your ignition timing is OK and you have spark,it should be at least be wanting to run.If not,evacuate the fuel system and put in fresh gas.Try not to become too discourged while performing ALL of the above,and dont be afraid to seek help form one of the mechanics in your town!...walt..tulsa,ok...ps.let me know how you make out!...waltchomosh@yahoo.com

wm link

Your next option will be looking for a mechanic in your area...

Edwin

Okay the ignition was 180 degrees wrong i chanched it but it still doesnt start ????
What am i doing wrong ????
Sorry for my english but im from holland...