News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1998 Eldorado Coupe

Started by T.L. (Ty) Stinson, March 22, 2007, 08:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Okay, its not old but it is beautiful and I really like the design. Thinking of purchasing a very new 1998 Eldorado Coupe. I mean not a scratch on it. All original solid black with beigh leather. Problem is it will have 250 to 300K miles on the engine next year when I can buy it. No price yet but what about that engine? Is it a good one to have rebuilt in the future?
Ty
CLC#2233
37 8519

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Forgetting the engine for a moment, how about EVERYTHING else?  Transmission, front end, suspension, every working part has to be pretty well worn by now it would seem.  Has the current owner kept it well maintained, does he have the records?  I personally would not want a newer car with that many miles on it, not only the mechanical parts would be worn but the electronics also.  I dont care what the car LOOKS like, too many very expensive items are going to need replacing/rebuilding --- if they havent been already.  This isnt like an older collector car (certainly not yet) that is worth rebuilding/restoring.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Ty,
I agree with you that that it a very handsome car, but I also agree with Geoff that it will without any doubt be a very expensive car to own with that many miles.  The best gasoline engine in the world would need rebuilding at that mileage if not before (and the first-generation Northstars tend to leak at the gaskets where the block components come together)and, as Geoff has mentioned, it is full of electronics that are very expensive to replace. The 4T80 Hydramatic transaxle is the sturdiest component in the car, but if it hasnt already been rebuilt, it almost certainly will need to be by that mileage.

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Thanks Rusty and Geoff. It will be hard to turn down. I was told by the owners mechanic that the seal around the oil pan is a very bad design for at least the 1998 year. He also said that the owner has always had him do "everything" to keep the car like new and that the owner will sell the car to me when it reaches 300K miles. Do you think around $5,000 for a rebuilt engine and transmission? Any thoughts on another replacement (smaller) engine/transmission? I know this may be for the Mod Chapter but I lost my login code so will try later.
Ty
CLC#22330
37 8519

Dave Lickel #18575

My 98 deville engine blew with 151k miles.  My freinds 01 deville with 155k blew a month later.  I would say, if this car has the origional engine and transmission, Cadillac should buy it and put it in a museum.  My experience with northstar vehicles is obviously not a good one.  other parts of the electronics are equally important.  I would say, a good price for that mileage, and given the interior / exterior are as good as you say, would be around $2500.  There are plenty with less mileage in the same age range for around $5k to $6k

Dave

Per C. 4218

In 1998 I bought a 1994 Eldorado Touring Coupe with 31k miles which looked absolutely like brand new. By now it has 155k miles and the engine and trans run as good as ever, and I have no plans for rebuilds.
But I have replaced the starter, 2 alternators, water pump, transmission solenoid valves, A/C compressor, tensioner pulley, power window motor, power antenna, ignition coil,
Plus of course the "normal": brake pads, rotors, plug wires, plugs, and the resonators are pretty much history.
We have lots of salt on the roads, and its starting to show rust but not too bad.
To sum it all up: If I didnt do 95percent of the work myself, it would have been an expensive car to maintain. Would I buy another one? Probably not. It seems there is always something that needs fixing.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Ty, The last figure I saw for a Northstar replacement was $5,000.00 and a transmission rebuild will be in the neighborhood of $2,500.00. I would say that making the electronics work with any other engine, assuming it would fit and connect to the transmission, would be much more trouble and expense than it was worth. I recently read an article about Toyota and they said they design their cars to last 250,000 miles and I would assume GM would be about the same. There have been a few 1,000,000 mile cars, but they are generally Mercedes diesels and the only thing in most of them that hasnt been replaced (but mostly likely has been rust-repaired)is the body.A friend has a manual shift 76 240D with 300,000 miles on it that he bought new and he has spent a fortune on it over the years ($10,000.00 last year alone having the engine and transmssion rebuilt for the second time)and this to renew the engine to factory performance of 0-60 in 28 seconds. I wouldnt have any trouble at all passing on any car that had 300,000 miles on it.

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

But the car is so beautiful....and not a scratch on it! From all your comments though, it seems I will be better off investing my time and cash on the 37.
Ty

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Good plan, Ty.  Alternate plan: keep your eye out for a very clean, low mileage final-generation Eldoardo.  Ill bet one will turn up at a reasonable price.