News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Restoring 70s Eldo caps, help please

Started by Ross DeVore, March 26, 2007, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross DeVore

I need suggestions from those that have done it. I have a nice set of caps for my 78 Eldo. They were white dics but due to UV have turned yellow. Curious if I have any options to fix what I have; do I need to start over?; Should I just look for a good set somewhere else instead of restoring these. You help and thoughts are appreciated.

Ross

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Ross,

I haven’t worked on your hubcaps but I’ve painted color stripes on chrome. If your caps have a painted white center, the simplest method would be to use a white enamel over the existing paint. Scuff the surface, clean it off with same brand prep as the paint you select. Mask off the area to be painted and shoot. If the paint is chipped or worn off you should strip it, scuff the metal, mask, apply a coat of a self etching primer and continue with the same brand paint. I suggest you find a local paint supplier and get their suggestions about the specific paint and prep materials available. I’d start with Eastwood because they have aerosol cans and it will save a lot on materials

I’m not certain, but I recall that in one year the painted center of Eldorado caps was actually some type of adhesive decal. If that’s the case, you may want to ask the paint supplier about painting the decal. Depending on the decal material the paint may or may not be compatible. If you can’t paint the decal, remove it start at the bare metal as above.

Hope this is some help,

Ralph

George Woodford clc21025

I had my 76/77 Eldorado (stainless) hubcaps buffed and polished.  They shine like chrome.  Do not chrome plate these hubcaps.  The cost is about $100 each.  I would recommend leaving them unpainted, but you can prep and paint the centers.  This is what was done for the 76s.  Or if you desire, you can purchase new reproduction discs and paint them, then stick to the hubcaps.  I dont recommend the latter.  Check with USA Parts Supply for the discs.  They list them in their catalog.