News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Antennea Lead wire

Started by Joe Bento #20081, March 26, 2007, 04:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento #20081

Howdy!

I have sent my radio for restoration to a shop in Florida which does this sort of work (and yes, Doug, just restoring back to original working order <grin>).  Now, given the fact that this guy does this sort of work for a living, I would not expect to have this problem, yet, here I am.

I need a "lead in" wire.  That is, as near as I can tell, the wire that connects the radio to the antennea.  Mine is 67 years old and badly kinked and decayed and just needs to be replaced.  But appearently, this wire is somewhat "tuned" so it is a very specific part.  To be honest, I have no idea what he is talking about, but I got the message: "Get a new, preferably original, one."

Could someone with some experience here, help me out?  I am greatly confused.

Doug Houston

I think that this is the 40 radio that hes been having a tough tome with. Hes not used to repairing radios; only de-gutting them and putting crap FM catrds in, but hes on the antique radio forum, and he did ask about the antenna lead-in. I think hes actually a pretty good lad, but he needs more repair experience. (Gary?)

I believe that I already told him that you cant get a new one, and that that type of lead-in isnt made any more. Seems I recall that I advised him to pull in a new center conductor, and to try to re-shape out the kinks and pinches in it. The lead-in for those sets is not terribly long, and should be able to be fixed. Indeed, you can use a piece of coaxial cable, but you might get into excessive signal loss in the cable. I assume that you have the vacuum antenna, which is no easy thing to deal with. I have one on my 39-90 coupe, and it needs the mast replated, but I fear for it being destroyed if a plater might get his meat hooks on it.

If you have the running board type, you need the lowest loss lead-in that you can have, and a Coax would definitely be bad.

The fix on the lead-in isnt so hard, and if Gary cant do it, possibly you could. (This IS Gary, isnt it?)

Joe Bento #20081

Small world.

Yup, Gary it is.  Have to admit I am a bit disappointed.  Saw his ad in Hemmings, looked at his web page, spoke with him on the phone and it all seemed to indicate he had sufficient experience.  But I would think this lead in wire is a common issue, so whats the problem.

The vacuum antenna is another issue altogether.  I keep hearing how fragile they are, so I am a bit afraid of my antennas condition after the body shop removed it.  And I dont have much faith that ANYTHING vacuum driven is functioning on this car.

I know nothing about this type of work.  I can solder a wire in place, but the right wire with the proper ohms, impedence, or whatever is WAYYY out of my league.

I need to find a way to get Gary up to speed, so I appreciate you communication with him Doug.

DSOuig Houston

Garys probably a good guy. Hes young enough to be my son. He lost his job wherever he was living, and got into the business of radio work, but unfortunately, not repairing therm, but gutting the cases and piutting FM-AM transistor chassis cards in them. Theres a lot of money in that, but I think that you could train a chimpanzee to do it. Repairing older radios is a very different game. Give him an "A" for effort.

I think hes picking up some of the business that Ralph Gerkhardt had in New Jersey. Ralph was an old time repair technician, and had gotten in the business of repairing car radios. he did a lot of work for Turnquists shop, and a few others in Jersey. He spent hours on the phone with me, getting advice, and chatting about all sorts of things. A couple of years ago, he suffered a stroke, and his mind has just gone out. Finding someone who can handle old radios is no easy task. I do my own, and only between all the things I have to do keeping up the house. There are too many blacksmiths out there, selling electronic restoration services. Happily, the lad in Florida is pretty conscientious, but needs guidance. Im sure hell get you going again, though.

Please e-mail me on the oil filter issue. I may have some info on it.

Joe Bento #20081

Hmmm.  This looks longer and like it has a different end from what I remember.  I will ask Doug to chime in on it.

Thanks Paul!

Doug Houston

Nope, nowhere near the right one.

Interesting; He wont even include the lead-in with the antenna. Sleazy, Id sday. I wonder if he sells shop manuals by the page?

Dave T CL22554

Doug Do you know for sure what yearthis antenna lead will fit? Looks like it may fit 1946-1947 anny info? Dave

Herman

Joe

Does the antenna lead-in have a pin about the size of a ball point pen refill at the radio end and a pin with a threaded connector at the antenna end and about 18 inches long?  Also does it appear to have braided metal  shielding around the cable?

If so I may have one in my 1948 parts car.

Herman
CLC #194l6

Doug Houston

This antenna came out in 1939, and was used through the 1940 model year. It was also used on the 41-60S ONLY. The rest if the 41 cars had a fender mount antennas. The fender mount antennas continued through 1949, or perhaps another year or two; Id have to check the parts book.(I seem to remember 1955 as the last year for vacuum antennas) The diameter of the vacuum cylinder was larger on the fender mount models, and there were a couple (or three) sizes of those. Again some of that information is in the parts book. The antennas that I have on three of my 41 cars have one telescoping section, with the outer section operating with the vacuum piston. The antenna that I have on my 41 a door convertible has TWO telescoping sections. Im not sure where it came from, either. That car was pieced together from several places, and the antenna may have been with it. I believe that its a postwar model, though.

One other thing that you didnt ask, but is good to know. I bought my 41-60S in 1956, and the hole for the original antenna was still there (Its closed now). In those days, Cadillac had a lot of parts for those cars in their warehouse. I ordered a replacement antenna for it, and got a fender mount kit. I was rather distressed, but then, I discovered that ther is an antenna grommet in the cowl for the vacuum hoses and the lead-in. Thus, the kit that Cadillac sent me IS correct for the car. Ive often wondered why they used the cowl mounted type on that body style only, and Ive never found an answer,

Doug Houston

Lemme take that one. There were two styles of antenna input connector at the radio. One had a cylindrical shell about 1/4 inch diameter, and an insulated contact on the end. It might suggest resembling a little light bulb. Its known as a Bayonet connector, and is referred to as the "Delco" style antenna connector. It was used on almost all auto radios from the early thirties, through 1940. Somewhere in the mid-thirties, Motorola begn to use the pin type connector with a grounding sleeve connected to the cable shield. This is known as the "Motorola" connector, and has been the standard style used since 1941 to this day.

1940 was the first year that Cadillac had Delco radios. The Delco connector was used on them, and for the last year. The 1941 sets had Motorola connectors, and it has been that way for all years thereafter.