News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Custom 1941 Colors

Started by Barry M. Wheeler #2189, March 28, 2007, 03:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

In the last few days, I obtained some of the names of the few SO color combinations Carl Steig has managed to get into his computer. He has many others, but are in his hand-written records and not easy to get to at this time.
I passed these names on to Jimmy Chips at the Auto Color Library site...Dont have the correct web site, but Googling will get you there...
If any of these color combinations float your boat Jimmy will be glad to research them and see if he can get the combination of the color from the name.

Chalice Grey, Black over Regent Maroon, Luna Green over Cimmaron Green (which is a stock color), Grisette, which is a reddish brown over Memelaus Orange, Cruiser Grey, Hopewell Green over Radnor Beige. (This one is mentioned in the third edition of Cadillacs of the Forties.) Some more are Sea Moss Green over Frost Cloud Green, French Copper over Barranca Yellow, with a burnt orange stripe, Fenway Grey over Forona Grey, Bel-Air Grey, Sabrina Grey.

Carl had counted somewhere around eighty different 60S colors and/or combinations when he researched this information from build sheets.

It would really be something to see some of these special colors if they could be formulated.

Doug Houston

I knew that there were a few special colors that were used on show cars, but I guess that its no surprise that there were lots more. It took researching the invoices to bring that out.

The only thing that this might do is to open the flood gates for some characters, who have a high need to be different, to go ahead and shoot some bilious color on his car, and claim that it was specially ordered. Of course, hed have the body name plate to contend with, and If I were judging, Id wanna see a copy of the invoice.

Theres a 41 Cadillac in this area, that is so grossly overdone, and done with everything color keyed, chromium plated.....on and on. The owner claims that all of this stuff could have been ordered from Cadillac originally, and hes right. But was all of this originnaly on HIS car? The answer was no.

On one occasion when I was judging, I was my usual ornery SOB self, and he lost points.

I never said I was nice.