News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 rear leaf spring removal

Started by Doug Balderson, March 29, 2007, 01:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Balderson

I would like to know what is needed to remove the front of the leaf spring from the spring support bracket.
My bushings are just about gone and need repair.
Thanks

Bob Schuman, CLC#254

The front of the 41 Cadillac rear springs is held by a bolt. The bolt has a smooth head with two small holes, and is kept from turning by serrations around the rim of its head that engage matching serrations in the bracket that is riveted to the frame.
There is a nut on the inboard end of the bolt. Squirt penetrating oil on the bolt threads and wait at least overnight. If available, use an impact wrench to loosen and remove the nut. That will be easier than using just a breaker bar. Then put the nut back on a couple of threads, and drive the bolt out towards the outside of the car. Of course, the car must be raised so that the spring is not exerting a pushing or pulling force on the bushing, to allow the bolt to come out.
The original rubber bushings have flat ends. The replacements that came with my springs from Eaton Spring Co. had slightly rounded heads, making them longer, so they were very hard to get into the brackets. I had to grind the head end of the new bushings flat to be able to install them.
You will probably be doing the rear bushings also. If your car has a well for a vertical spare tire, the right rear spring shackle bracket must be unbolted from the frame to take it apart. Thats why it is bolted to the frame, not riveted like the left one.
Good luck.
Bob Schuman

Doug Balderson

Bob
Thank you very much for the information.  My concern was the flat head on the inside and thought they may have made a wrench for such an application.
I kind of thought I would try just what you described.
Again, thanks very much.  Now I feel Im on the right track.

Bob Schuman,#254

Correction to my previous post. The bolt securing the front of the 41 Cadillac rear springs has the head inboard, toward the center of the car, and the nut outboard, just reverse of what I wrote originally. Memory is a wonderful thing, but with old age it gets so cluttered and disorganized that accurate recall sometimes suffers.
Bob Schuman

Greg 183360

Doug NAPA has the bushings for sure, and I think they have a shackle kit.Does the gas tank need to be removed for left side removal.
       Thanks Greg

Bob Schuman,#254

There is no interference on the left side with the gas tank or anything else, unless you have one of the very rare cars equipped with two vertically mounted spare tires in the trunk. I have never seen one.

Doug Balderson

Thanks much for the NAPA information.

Doug Balderson

I knew what you meant and I certainly know what age can do to ones thinking and what comes out of the keyboard.

Tom Knoebel

I know this was an old post but worked on my 40 LaSalle today. Thank You
Tom Knoebel
Tom Knoebel

1939 LaSalle 5019, 1940 5019, 1940 5019, 1940 5011