News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Get a title for a car that lacks one...

Started by Rikard Stenberg, March 31, 2007, 02:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikard Stenberg

Hello all!
I am considering to buy an old car (1969) that does not have a title and will be sold with a bill of sale only... Can a new title be issued? Is that expensive/difficult? Do you need to be a US citizen/have a US address to do get a new title?

Regards,
/Rikard

PS the car is located in Ohio if that is of importance...

Michael Stamps 19507

I bought my 60 with a bill of sale only.  It came from Georgia where they didnt title cars that old.  I just took it to the DMV here in FL and after verifying the VIN they issued me a title.  

For shipping overseas you will need a title first.  If Ohio does issue titles for that age (I have bought a 67 and a 70 with title in Ohio) then I would make the seller get title in their name before buying.

Stampie

Andrew 10638

A little background. . .

The US Government doesnt really regulate auto title issues, it is left to each of the 50 states.  That regulation varies widely, some requiring titles, some only requiring a bill of sale, and all of it is dependent on the year of the vehicle.  In general, title issues are mostly relevant for the state you are taking the car to, as they require certain information to allow the buyer to register the vehicle.  In your case, I would think the only relevent regulatory body would be US Customs, to allow the export of the vehicle. . .

To find out what the state of Ohio requires to issue a title for the purposes of selling the car, go to OhioBMV.com.  There is no more bureaucratic entity, other than the State of New York DMV.  I have a 68 Cadillac, and it had an Ohio title(no exemption for the age of the car), so if there is no title, the car was either never titled in Ohio, or they have lost the title, and dont know how to obtain a replacement.  Its all on the website!

If the title is transferred via a notary, the seller must sign using the exact same name as indicated on the owner line.  Remember, the entire purpose of the title is to prevent fraud, so if there is no title there is no way to prevent the sale of a stolen vehicle.  The car is too old for Carfax.

Caveat Emptor!!