News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 fuel injected eldorado convertible

Started by Anthony S, April 06, 2007, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony S

Hi,
      My name is Anthony. My uncle just handed down to me a 1976 Eldorado Convertible in pretty good shape .Ive been watching these cars sell on Ebay for a lot more than I thought they would go for. All of the cars that ive seen like mine dont have fuel injection ...mine does...(I must have seen 35 auctions with no fuel injected  Eldorados), How can I find out more about this car, like how many were made with fuel injection and so on. If you have a link to a site or any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony S

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Hi Anthony,

One place to start would be the website for the Bicentennial Eldorados ........ http://www.bicentennialeldorado.com TARGET=_blank>www.bicentennialeldorado.com ......... since the Bicentennials were the last 200 76 Eldo convertibles produced, maybe some, most, or all had fuel injection systems.

Jack.

Anthony S

Thanks Jack for the response and the link ...I sent out an email to them .
Anthony

Sandy

Quote from: Anthony SHi,
      My name is Anthony. My uncle just handed down to me a 1976 Eldorado Convertible in pretty good shape .Ive been watching these cars sell on Ebay for a lot more than I thought they would go for. All of the cars that ive seen like mine dont have fuel injection ...mine does...(I must have seen 35 auctions with no fuel injected  Eldorados), How can I find out more about this car, like how many were made with fuel injection and so on. If you have a link to a site or any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony S

Hi Anthony, I had a 76 Eldo conv with EFI and wondered the same thing, how many?  EFI was the most expensive mechanical option at $646 (as opposed to trim options like Talisman) so not that many folks sprung for it.  As you watch ebay and other sites, look for the gold air cleaner cover and the Fuel Injection badge on the trunk; a lot of folks selling these cars really have no idea what they have and do not mention the car has FI.  If you find a site that has the info you are looking for, let me know because I would be interested, too.

As an aside, you will should have the injectors cleaned and the seals checked for leaks at some point if your uncle has not already done so.  It seems there was a recall early on for the leaking injectors...this led to fires and unhappy owners.  I was the 3rd owner of mine and it had been taken care of by all the previous owners, so I had no trouble with it.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine, they are great cars and a lot of fun to own.

Sandy
CLC #18390

Tim Pawl CLC #4383

I had the opportunity to talk with Gene Kowalski of GM Powertrain who had worked for Bendix in 1974-1976 (the supplier of the fuel injection system). He seemed to remember that there were a total of 1000 units built for the 500 cube engine and that there were a few 1975s (he had owned a 1975 Coupe de ville with FI)the rest were all 1976 and they were in Fleetwoods, Devilles and Eldorados both Coupe and Convertible. I dont know how we would find the number of FI convertibles , but obviously something less than 1000 of the total 14,000 convertibles built. The fuel injection system was carried over to the 425 engine in 1977  ( I remember seeing a 1977 Fleetwood with FI) and it was also on the 1976 to 1979 Sevilles and 1979 Eldos with the 350 engine although with a smaller different colored injector. One is blue colored body the other is green.  Interestingly, the Bendix FI system was eventually purchased by Bosch and similar parts continue to be produced.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

I own a 1976 Eldo Coupe parts car that has a running 500 Fuel Injection engine , if anyone is interested...drop me a line.
Another side note, the 500 FI engines in the Eldorado had a different axle ratio than the carbureted cars, so this may be a way to determine the actual number produced in Eldorados.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

I owned a 79 Fleetwood Brougham dElegance with fuel injection, so I know the option carried over until at least the 1979 model year, although it was very low production.

Andrew DuBroff

wasnt EFI standard on all gasoline powered sevilles beginning in 1976?

brian rachlin

stefanvonblumchen

Hi all! I have a ´76 Eldorado convertible with FI.To my knowledge non of the Bicentennials had FI.I´ve heard from a man that knows a lot about Cadillacs and he said that there were 1000 cars equipped with it.I hope that this helped./Regards Stefan.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

This topic is 13 YEARS old!!!Why drag it up??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Anderson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on February 03, 2021, 06:19:01 PM
This topic is 13 YEARS old!!!Why drag it up??
Someone probably basically wandered in from a Google search that pulled this thread and didn't check the date...

bcroe

Well since it came up, I am pretty certain the 76 Eldos with
EFI DID NOT have a different axle ratio than carb 76 Eldos.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

I thought I remembered seeing a different ratio listed for at least some of the EFI cars,  I don't think it was every year like maybe it went away for the 425?   And it looks like Tim Pawl brought it up in this thread.  Seems like he would have had some documentation to base that on.     

Seems like the kind of thing that would be in the service manuals.   Pretty sure my 73 manual in the final drive section starts out by stating that it is this ratio since in 73 there was only one.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Quote from: TJ Hopland on February 04, 2021, 12:09:44 PM
I thought I remembered seeing a different ratio listed for at least some of the EFI cars,  I don't think it was every year like maybe it went away for the 425?   And it looks like Tim Pawl brought it up in this thread.  Seems like he would have had some documentation to base that on.     

Seems like the kind of thing that would be in the service manuals.   Pretty sure my 73 manual in the final drive section starts out by stating that it is this ratio since in 73 there was only one.

The 66-67 E cars had a 3.21:1 final drive, some high performance versions
and the GMC Motor home shortly after that used a 3.07.  Everything else used
a 2.73.  I have had quite a few of them, half a dozen under my bench now, I
have never seen a 3.07:1.  The GMC guys like the 3.21 and some after market
gears are now available to higher numbers.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

At one time I had 3 spares and the one in the one car I had at the time.   I do remember pulling the covers off to check them because I thought I had a bad one and wanted to inspect and confirm what I had and they were all the same.   The guy I got them from said 2 were from 73's and he could not remember what the other one was.   I in the pile I got with the car (25 years ago) there was one engine with a 75 or 76 intake so one could have been from that engine but they were all the same.    I'm sure at the time I would have counted the turns and remembered if they seemed to come out different than the book said.

From the 73 FSM:
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisspeaks

Lol, I am one of those stumbling in from google but I did check the date.  Researching how many units of a blue 76 Eldorado convertible I found with EFI.  1000 made, I like that number, not as much as the bicentennial 200 but I can live with 1000.

Quote from: Anderson on February 04, 2021, 07:23:00 AM
Someone probably basically wandered in from a Google search that pulled this thread and didn't check the date...
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

stefanvonblumchen

Hello! Yes that's me that didn't check the date when the subject was how many '76 Eldorados that were eguipped with FI.I was right,1000 had it.Now I'd like to know if hopefully any of You knows how many of them that still are "alive"? Thankful for answers/Best regards Stefan

79 Eldorado

Maybe the CLC should start a 70's EFI registry.

I don't know how we could ever tell how many were still on remaining. The '76 Eldorado was to be the "last" convertible though so that title probably caused a higher than normal number to be saved a valuable. I also suspect Cadillacs in general benefit from saved based on a general mindset which comes with the brand.

Bruce and I have also discussed Eldorados earlier than true 76 which were EFI. I've heard them referred to 75.5 or early 1976's. Bruce has repaired some of the ECU's and mentioned all of the "1975s" were Eldorados. GM published a VIN break for Seville with the flat blade original sensors. I've never seen the same for 1975 or 1976 Eldorados which is interesting because if they started production at the same time or before the Seville I suspect they used the older flat blade temp sensors.

Scott

dennisspeaks

Hi Stefan,

I have a 76 with EFI, Bruce Roe updated the ECU for me and another member directed me to a NOS fuel pmp/sending unit and I just got the fuel tank boiled and lined with 2 year warranty by RenU. 

Quote from: stefanvonblumchen on March 30, 2022, 12:42:45 PM
Hello! Yes that's me that didn't check the date when the subject was how many '76 Eldorados that were eguipped with FI.I was right,1000 had it.Now I'd like to know if hopefully any of You knows how many of them that still are "alive"? Thankful for answers/Best regards Stefan
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz