News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

So how hard...

Started by Charles Phelps #23665, April 09, 2007, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Phelps #23665

So hard is it to convert a Coupe to a convertible? I have a 1953 Coupe (not CDV), and I really want a convertible. I already have so much done to the coupe, that I was considering turning it into a convertible, possibly without the power top Components.

Is this something really hard? Another Cadillac owner mentioned he thought it was pretty simple...

Charles

Johnny#662

TOM

Mike thats impossible -- theyll turn him over to the Internal Revenue, customs, and half the FBI.

MICHAEL

Its not impossible. Nothings impossible.

TOM

Id be like trying to kill the president -- theres no way we can get to him.

MICHAEL

TOM, you know you surprise me -- if anything in this life is certain -- if history has taught us anything -- its that you can kill anybody. ROCCO?

ROCCO

Difficult -- not impossible.

Same thing with making a convertible out of a coupe.  Takes a lot of money and the proper workmanship to accomplish this.

*By the way Rocco did kill Roth, then was killed by the FBI.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Charles,

Firstly, I wouldnt have a clue what Johnny was referring to with the people carrying on a conversation, but the last bit is true.

Yes, it is possible, and nothing is impossible.   It is just the costr of doing it.

Now, you have to remember that the Convertible was usually the dearest body style of most manufacturers, with the Coupe being the cheapest.

Having said that, it is obvious that it must cost more to manufacture a Convertible than a Coupe.   That is that there are so many more pieces that go into a Convertible that are different to what goes into making a Coupe.   And, dont forget that a car being built with brand new parts on an assembly line is far easier than trying to pull a made-up body to pieces and insert the required pieces to change it.

There are so many "things" in a Convertible to create the strength and rigidity that must be there to replace the simple roof structure, that the difference in weight of a Convertible from a Coupe is usually around 300 pounds in weight

Chassis Steel is different, and with an X-member.....Body Mountings are placed in different positions......Rear Bulkhead is different......the floor-pan is usually a different pressing......Rear quarter glass and winding mechanism is different.....Rear seat shape and size is different.....Windscreen top is different.....then there is the other things like the roof, raising and lowering mechanism......and these are just the things that are really obvious.

Plus, when completed, it will still be a Coupe cut down, and I believe that in doing so, even doing it in a way as to not build a folding top, most people that do these conversions, after a while, wish they didnt attempt it.   I know, I did, but I did it with a 4 door sedan, and we never had coupes to play with.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

Bill Gauch #23121

As was said previously, it is difficult. You may find shops that will do it, but I would stay far far away unless it is cost-prohibitive. It is likely they would just use cutting tools to remove the top, smooth the edge, and put a rubber gasket over it. After a short time, you will have a bend in the floor. The first time you try to tow your car, it will fold in half.

I would offer this as advice towards your goal. I would look for a non-running or low-condition convertible that you can afford. Then, use the perfectly good coupe as a parts car. Alternately, just sell the coupe and look for a suitable convertible replacement. I, too, would love to drive around in a nice convertible, but right now, I am happy to just be "in the hobby". Drive the car and be the envy of all those driving around in crap-boxes and have fun.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992Grady Charles,

Firstly, I wouldnt have a clue what Johnny was referring to with the people carrying on a conversation, but the last bit is true.

Yes, it is possible, and nothing is impossible.   It is just the cost of doing it.

Bruce,
The Tassie Deville),
60 CDV.

Being a big fan of movies, many times in life a situation comes up that reminds me of a scene in a movie.  When I saw the question "So how hard?", it reminded me of the scene in Godfather II, when Michael Corleone was a having a conversation with his men, concerning the assassination of his adversary Hyman Roth.  They reached the conclusion, that while the assignment would be difficult, it wasnt impossible, much like the scenario of converting a coupe into a convertible.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

For the time and money you will spend to have what will be basically a cut-up car, a neither-nor, you will be much better off to take Bill Gauchs advice.  Enjoy the valuable car you have, or sell it and buy a real convertible and spend the time and money on fixing THAT.  Done RIGHT, converting a coupe to a convertible is NOT an easy job by any stretch of the imagination.