News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Build Sheet

Started by Ralph DeFilippo, April 11, 2007, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph DeFilippo

How do I get a Build Sheet for a 1949 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 series.  Im having the vehicle restored, and Im missing the cowl tag.  Any help that you can offer will be much appreciated!

Ralph DeFilippo, Member #4422

Tom Hall 7485

I recommend you study body plates on other 1949 Cadillacs and/or buy an authenticity manual before having a new body plate fabricated.  Not all options were recorded on body plates.  You need to know which codes go onto the plate and which dont.

Bill Gauch #23121

Without the cowl tag, you will need to determine style #, body # and serial # (VIN). I have no idea how you could determine the body number. Was your engine/frame/chassis originally one piece? If not, the build sheet for your car may not be possible. You could see if they could pull the sheet without the body number. You may have to pay more for the extra research that will be required, so be prepared for that.

As for style number, I would suggest a careful study of http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Cad46-50.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Cad46-50.htm

As well as other descriptions and photos to determine what kind of Series 75 you own. No idea where the serial # (VIN) is on a 49, though.

baxter culver #17184

Page 34 of the 2007 Membership Directory lists engine #s by series--eg, 1949-60S series 000000001-000000009.

Cadillac Historical says the cars were tracked by engine # (which should match frame/chassis #).  If your engine/frame #s match, and you can determine the series and model, submit what you have and see what you get back.  That should give you trim and paint #s and a list of factory installed options (radio, heater, etc.

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

The VIN is NEVER on the body plate. Not on that car or any other GM car! All he needs to do is determine the VIN from his title or the FRAME of the car & send it in. The build sheet will give him the body # and ALL the info he needs to have a new plate made. Take Toms suggestion so he can know how the new plate should look & what info should be on it. Maybe a pencil rubbing of someones plate with the same car to give to the plate maker. HTH, Bob