News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Running Board help

Started by Joe Bento #20081, April 13, 2007, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento #20081

Okay here is what I have so far:

All Cads has the running board mats for my 1940 (72) - $1,000.00

-or-

There is a guy in Canada (Antique Rubber Parts Overhaul), website is http://www.automotiverubberparts.com TARGET=_blank>www.automotiverubberparts.com  who will do a full restoration of the boards for $1,700.00.

When I look at the boards, it looks like it is covered in rubber on all sides.  I am told the original mats were actually molded to the boards, so I am a bit sketchy if just buying mats will do the trick.

Has anyone used Eds mats to redo your running boards.  Know someone who has?

I am feeling defeated, so I would really love some input here. :)

Thanks!

Joe

Porter

Joe,

Years ago a friend of mine had a 38 Dodge, he brought the car to my woodshop and we made a template out of 1/4" plywood, routed the rubber mat material with a router tracer bit and glued them on with contact cement. Top flat mount job, no wrapping around curves required. Im not familiar with your 1940 running boards. No rocket science here but like everything else easy after you do it once or have the right tools.

I installed a new vinyl top on my 66 CDV, pictures over at the Modified Chapter.

Given the material I could do the job, if you arent handy or dont have the equipment youll have to sub it out to a vendor.

Came across the company awhile ago that sells the rubber material, seriously doubt there is a molded product available, would assume its just flat stock.

Cant vouch for the guy in Canada but giving you some input here.

Have you tried Restoration Specialties ? Not sure if they carry what you need.

That car has you into a serious bundle, stay the course trooper.

FWIW,

Porter

John Washburn CLC 1067

Joe,

I used the guy in Canada to do my 37 LaSalle running boards, excellet job, great guy, nothing bad to say about the work or how they treat customers.

Now there is a company that has an ad in Skinned Knuckles, Automotive Rubber Parts. Phone: 403+556-6974, http://www.automotiverubberparts.com TARGET=_blank>www.automotiverubberparts.com

They might be able to help...

John Washburn
Elizabeth, Colorado

Joe Bento #20081

John,

I am a tad confused.  I think the ad you are refering to is the same guy (at least the website is the same as my post).

Did you use someone other than the guy from the ad?  That is the one who wants $1,700 to do the overhaul.

John Washburn CLC #1067

Joe,

I am a bit stupid. I did not even look to see if it was the same guy, but as you say it is. Oppppppppppps.

John Washburn
Just purchased a 56 Sedan DeVille parts car, got it running today. What fun it is to find these old cars.

Joe Bento #20081

Hi there John,

No, not stupid.  Lets just say "temporarily, out to lunch".

:)

nasser

Joe:
  From your posts on this forum, I noticed that you are shooting for points in your restoration efforts. I would go for the moulded job. But, if you want a 90percent close job you might try your router and steady hand to groove a plain sheet of rubber of the right thickness. I did my 1936 running board mats (straight grooves) with my router, custom cut wood guides, and many C clamps. Any mistake in routing would take you back to square one and one piece of rubber down, so sharp bits and tons of pacience are must for the job. As Porter mentioned its not rocket science, you can skin a cat in many ways. I am going to do my 1947 conv small "running board" mat this way, you need the following:
Router and different sharp bits
clamps
1/4" plywood
flat table
belt sander
band and jig saws will be good options
steady hands (dont drink coffey for the previous 5 days)
I made several rubber parts with these tools like grommets, pads, and bumpers short of engine and trans mounts. If you are interested I can be more specific with more procedures. Good luck.
Nasser,

Greg Calkin CLC18288

Joe,
Approximately 4 years ago I ordered a set of running board mats from All Cads for my 40-7519. Despite Eds assurances that the kit would include everything to make my boards look like new, $400 got me a single roll of ribbed rubber 12 feet long and 9 inches wide. My boards are over 14" wide in places, plus the vertical pieces. Five months after returning the rubber, I was getting nowhere with my refund, so I accepted a set of wheel covers instead.

Later I ordered a set of mats from a supplier in Piru, CA who had made up several sets.  This was his last set.  My installation was done by a small body shop in Nova Scotia.   It took a little experimentation to find the right adhesive, but they still look fantastic.

I believe "Precision Rubber" was the Canadian company in Didsbury, Alberta that had done quality running board restoration in the past. They did a great job on my friends 39-7523 in late 2003.  Precision Rubber appears to be out of business now.

Antique Rubber Parts is only about 10 miles north in Olds, AB, but I could find no information connecting the two companies.
Greg

Bill Hamilton, CLC16219

Joe,

I had Precision Rubber do my 40 LaSalle boards about 5 years ago. They did an excellent job. Cost $1800. The original owner, Pat Rowden, then sold the business and not long thereafter it went kaput. I just looked at the link you provided and it appears to me the website contains many of the example photos that were on the Precision Rubber site. Even the instuctions for building a crate are identical! It sure would be worth it to give this guy a call to see if he has resurrected the busines and if he is using the same methods as Precision Rubber. The restoration was virtually permanent. I would give him call if I were you.

Bill Hamilton
40 LaSalle, 42-7523

Bill Hamilton, CLC16219

All,

An update to my first post. I spoke to the owner of the business that Joe referred to in his post. The guys name is Jon Engle and he was an employee of Precision Rubber until Pat Rowden sold it. He was the person who was responsible for all the inserts in the field of the board rubber. He quit because of concerns about the voracity of the new owner. He has now started his own business about 10 miles up the road. He does all the work himself. Says his lead time is about 3 months. He is using the same methodology as was used by Precision Rubber during the time that Pat Rowden owned the business. He says he has no affiliation with either Pat or the guy the business was sold to.

Bill Hamilton
CLC16219