News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 Water pump

Started by Eric, April 15, 2007, 11:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Hi All,
Im rebuilding a 1937 Cadillac engine. My waterpump has the same bolt pattern as the engine but has a solid circular ring that doesnt fit inside the recessed area of the block.
It looks like it would work fine, there is just less surface area at the point of contact between the water pump and engine block.
Has anyone out there bolted on this type of waterpump on an earlier model engine with success?

Bill Gauch #23121

I am confused by what you mean when you say "recessed area" and "solid circular ring". All the flathead pumps I see have a flat(ish) bottom which mates to the block with 5 bolts. I thought they were all the same, but I am not all that knowledgeable when it comes to part numbers and whatnot. If it helps, here is a picture of my pump housing (without the impeller):

http://therhodeislandreview.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5347 TARGET=_blank>http://therhodeislandreview.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=5347

Also, here is a picture of the block where it bolts up:

http://therhodeislandreview.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3584 TARGET=_blank>http://therhodeislandreview.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=3584

As I say, I dont know if this helps.

Jack Mcilwraith # 10584

Eric-two things.1-are you sure you have a 1937 engine? 2-was the pump on the engine when you got the car? The reason I am asking is because the 1936 engine fan pulley stood out farther than the later ones,which meant that the water pump was a one year deal in 1936.I knew a chap with a 36 who had adapted a later pump by putting a thick metal "gasket" between the pump and the block.This brought the pump pulley in line with the fan pulley.Is it this "gasket" to which you refer?

Eric 21241

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the quick reply and the photos.
My block looks like yours but my water pump has a true circular ring shape on the inside of the bolt holes, not wavy like yours.
Your pump looks the same on the outside but has a wavy line that goes around the bolts and fits snugly into the recessed hole in the block.
With my pump it doesnt go into the recessed area of the block yet it looks like there is enough surface area to make a decent seal.
The pump must be from another year, Id like to use the pump since Ive totaly rebuilt it already.

Eric 21241

Hi Jack,
Thanks for your interest.
I am talking about where the water pump attaches to the block.
The pump seems the same in every way except for the configuration where is is recessed. The pump wont go into the wavy shaped hole in the block because the pump has a true ring shaped flange and wont recess into the block  you can see the wavy shape by looking at Bills photo link in his response to my original post regarding this issue.
Best regards, Eric

Jack Mcilwraith # 10584

Eric-could you give us a picture of the backside of this pump? I have seen many pumps over the years and this one sounds weird.The pictures of Bills are the only type I have ever seen before.

Bill Sullivan

Eric:

Maybe I am missing something, but your water pump looks just like Bills and the one on my 37 La Salle.  The cylindrical bolt circle on yours has that same wavy area as Bills, I can see it in your pictures.  That is the normal sealing surface for these pumps.

Your engine looks great, you are doing a fine job with it. Just smear on some permatex, use a gasket, bolt that water pump and move on!

ps, dont be surprised if it leaks a bit, the shaft seal repair kits on these are so-so.  

Jacj Mcilwraith # 10584

Eric-after looking at the pics,I see nothing wrong with your pump,except to say it is a 1942-48 one.Notice the plug on the upper part.This was added to the pumps when Cadillac did away with the radiator shutters of 1941 and placed the thermostat in the engine side of the Rad.The difference from Bills pump and yours is because Cadillac added metal around the inner rim to strengthen it [I am guessing].You can bolt it on and have no more worries.

Eric 21241

Hi Jack,
The pump looks like it has a wavy pattern but it is just from being on the engine for so long it rusted the pattern on the surface.
its actualy round and not wavy (hard to see in the photo.
Yes Im rebuilding the engine its pretty much ready to go.
Its going to be exiting to drive my convertible coupe without the chugging of the worn engine. Got the radiator rebuilt and new clutch....cant wait!
Eric